F.A.Q.?
all_lucky7777
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 22 Posts
KitMaker Network: 15 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2009 - 10:01 AM UTC
I heard this book was the veritable bible of model-making:

http://www.amazon.com/Q-Frequently-Questions-Techniques-Modelling/dp/849652762X/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1232245513&sr=8-2

Can anyone confirm this? I'm wondering:

1. Is it worth $100? Thats what I can get it for.
2. Is it suitable for a beginner?
3. Is is it all inclusive and complete? Do I need anything else?
4. Does anyone have a better suggestion?

I'm intending to learn "pigments", but advice on the book's assistance with assembly, painting and overall realism etc would be great. My local art shop guru said he can get me pigments in any color I wanted, so I don't have do buy from Mig, or so I think.

Thanks for any help.
-Zack
Damraska
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 580 Posts
KitMaker Network: 77 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 12:59 AM UTC
I recently found myself asking similar questions about this book, so I will add one more to your list:

Will it help an intermediate modeler familiar with the beginning and intermediate techniques, but wishing to put it all together and/or push further? I am not interested in a picture book of great models, but rather a book with detailed and comprehensive explanations.

Also, Squadron has the book on sale this month for $49.99 plus shipping:

http://www.squadron.com/ItemDetails.asp?item=AEAP023

I have no relationship to or interest in Squadron; just the lowest price I've found.

Also, you can make your own pigments on the cheap with a set of earth tone pastels and some sand paper. Chalky pastels work much better than waxy pastels for this process. Grind down the pastel sticks on the sandpaper and save the dust in a container. For finer powder, use finer sandpaper. Wear a mask or respirator to avoid breathing in the fine dust. You can grind down graphite pencils using the same technique--good for simulating exposed metal on tracks, tools, and barrels.

-Doug
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
entire network: 6,048 Posts
KitMaker Network: 845 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 01:42 AM UTC
Well there's a review here on Armorama
http://armorama.kitmaker.net/review/1733

and 15 reviews on Amazon which between them give you a good idea about the book.

http://www.amazon.com/review/product/849652762X/ref=cm_cr_dp_all_summary?_encoding=UTF8&showViewpoints=1&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

[quote]I heard this book was the veritable bible of model-making. Can anyone confirm this?[quote]

It's not it is a book on Painting and Finishing AFVs, it doesn't go into construction or conversions.

Quoted Text

1. Is it worth $100? Thats what I can get it for.

It's a really good book and if you have a $100 to spare then sure but shop around I got mine for $50 dollars on amazon.

Quoted Text

2. Is it suitable for a beginner?

I would say yes in that it is inspirational and will make you want to try a lot of things but It is short on text though so most of the explaining is done through photos which won't always work for beginners and as stated it only covers painting and finishing.

Quoted Text

3. Is is it all inclusive and complete? Do I need anything else?
4. Does anyone have a better suggestion?

It's not, there is no all inclusive and complete book on modelling. Tony Greenland's Panzer Modelling Masterclass covers construction in a lot of detail and although aimed at the axis modeler most of the techniques are transferable to other subjects. Steve's Zaloga's Modeling U.S. Armor of WWII is on preorder on Amazon (release next September) and that shouldd fill any gaps.
Another alternative to the book is the line of F.A.Q DVDs being brought out by Mig Productions
http://armorama.kitmaker.net/review/3055
http://armorama.kitmaker.net/review/3389

Where you can see the techniques being applied. The DVDs are quite cheap and the series is set I think to run to five DVDs

Doug Although I think the book is great and well worth $50 I wouldn't say that it is
Quoted Text

a book with detailed and comprehensive explanations

It does explain a lot but if you read the reviews on Amazon a lot mention the lack of text.

all_lucky7777
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 08:07 AM UTC
Can anyone else recommend Pat's suggestions on assembly books?

What about a book aimed at assembling models in general, so I don't have to buy a lot of different books, one for armor, one for aircraft, one for naval etc. Is there such a thing, and is it quality?

I learned as a scifi wargamer to start the right way and learn correctly, step by step. Don't take too many shortcuts, basically. When I started into airbrush I screwed up and bent a needle, along with wrecking many models I had built trying to airbrush them with a bent needle. I'm currently waiting on a new needle to arrive, so I can start learning again.

As far as grinding up pastels to make pigment, I know my art shop guy disagrees with that, but I don't remember how. I can let you know if you are interested Doug.

Thanks again!

EDIT: Oh Right! I almost forgot, you saved me $50, thanks!
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 6,705 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,084 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 08:20 AM UTC
Here's a fantastic resource available FREE for all modelers, which covers many genre's, my friend...

Mike Ashey Productions

~Gunny
Sammuel
Visit this Community
entire network: 200 Posts
KitMaker Network: 54 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 10:02 AM UTC
Gunny

Thanks!!!! That's what I needed.

Sam
all_lucky7777
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 09:24 AM UTC
Thanks Gunny, thats a great help, I'm halfway through chapter one of his Aircraft book.

Are there a lot of things like that on the web? I have an impressive selection of resources on my other hobby (Warhammer 40k) that I found on the internet. I got so caught up in the F.a.q. book that I forgot the Internet. I guess I'll go digging. Also, Kitmaker.net is definitely one of the most useful resources I am likely to find.

-Zack
Damraska
Visit this Community
entire network: 580 Posts
KitMaker Network: 77 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 08:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

It does explain a lot but if you read the reviews on Amazon a lot mention the lack of text.

Thank you, Pat. I still cannot decide. I guess I still have a few more days to chew on it.

Quoted Text

As far as grinding up pastels to make pigment, I know my art shop guy disagrees with that, but I don't remember how. I can let you know if you are interested Doug.

Sure! Throw it up. I'm always interested in a new modeling trick or piece of information.

Quoted Text

EDIT: Oh Right! I almost forgot, you saved me $50, thanks!

Excellent. Always happy to help.

Quoted Text

Here's a fantastic resource available FREE for all modelers, which covers many genre's, my friend...

Gunny, that's a fantastic link, especially for a novice on a budget. Even I learned a few new tricks (and was reminded of a couple more).

-Doug
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 6,705 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,084 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 02:50 AM UTC
Very welcome, mates, and yes, Mike's new site is one that belongs in all modelers bookmarks, some of the best stuff available (besides our own KitMaker Network... )
Cheers,
~Gunny
 _GOTOTOP