_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Milliput
PanzerKarl
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,439 Posts
KitMaker Network: 283 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 12:41 AM UTC
I wanted to try and make some sandbags using milliput,but i must of left the box open and its gone a bit hard,can it be softened again?or do i have to buy a new batch.

Kind Regards

Karl

exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
entire network: 6,048 Posts
KitMaker Network: 845 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 01:11 AM UTC
Put it on a radiator for a few minutes or into a micro oven for a few seconds
Test how long in small batches.
PanzerKarl
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,439 Posts
KitMaker Network: 283 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 03:19 AM UTC
I tryed it on the radiator,then i put it in hot water but it went realy soft and gooey.
so i went out and brought some more.

Thanks for the advice pat.

karl
Damraska
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 580 Posts
KitMaker Network: 77 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 01:46 AM UTC
As long as the two parts were not actually mixed it should be fine. Just knead them together and the "hardness" will go away as the mechanical action of kneading heats the mixture.

Before mixing, heating will make Milliput components softer and cooling will make them harder. Once mixed, heat will somewhat extend the working time and cooling will somewhat reduce the working time. Once cured, only extreme heat and extreme cold affect the stuff.

Milliput is water soluble until it sets up. That is, the components are water soluble and the mixed product is water soluble until it cures. Milliput will cure underwater. Once cured, water no longer affects the stuff. Mixing with water slows down the curing time to a point. If mixed with enough water the components and uncured mixture will eventually dissolve. Note that putting underwater is not the same as mixing with water.

Boiling a component would cause a slow, mechanical mixing process with the water. If placed in hot water and fairly quickly removed, a component should not mechanically mix with the water and should firm up as the heat dissipates.

I DO NOT recommend using water to soften Milliput. Do what Pat recommended.

When working with Milliput, use VERY SMALL quantities of water to extend the working time, smooth it, and keep it from sticking to you and your tools.

-Doug
 _GOTOTOP