_GOTOBOTTOM
Photography
Questions about shooting your models and dioramas? Ask here.
Photo editing software - focusing
NebLWeffah
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 1,683 Posts
KitMaker Network: 284 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 04:06 AM UTC
Hi

I recall reading an article recently (in FSM or maybe here, can't remember which...) that talked about a digital editing software that will blend photos taken using different focusing and 'stitch' them together and adjusting them so the final image comes out in focus. You know when you take a photo and the front of your subject is in focus but the rest isn't? Or you have a nice photo of that tank you just built but the barrel is pointing at you and it's blurry? Well this software will fix that by taking the photos shot at a range of focuses (focii...?) and blend them all together. So if the first photo has the front in focus, the next has the part of the model a little behind the front in focus and so on all the way to the back of the model in focus and will adjust them all, blending them to produce a final image.

I just bought a Nikon D40 DSLR and the manual focusing abilities will finally allow me to do this, except I can't remember the name of this editing software. Anybody know what I'm babbling on about?

thanks

Bob
NebLWeffah
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 03:23 PM UTC
I'll reply to my own post so we all have the info if you need it - I found the answer to what I was looking for after pouring over some recent Fine Scale Modeler issues. In the Nov 2008 issue, there's an article called 'Get Focused' and it is about the software I was looking for. It's called Helicon Focus and you can download a 30 day trial version or purchase it online HERE from HeliconSoft. I'll download the trail version this weekend and check it out.

Bob
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 03:36 PM UTC
Thanks for the link, Bob. Although with th D40 you shouldn't have a problem taking photos any more
NebLWeffah
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 03:11 AM UTC
HiR

Yeah, I think the D40 is a pretty hot camera, probably the best option around in it's price range. In reading the FSM article though, I'm convinced that the Helicon Focus software will improve it even more. I'll try out the trial version at least and see what it does.

thanks

Bob
jaypee
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,699 Posts
KitMaker Network: 114 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 03:44 AM UTC
wow that is like the opposite of tilt and shift used to "miniaturize" full size objects.
Probebly the same technique but in reverse. Would make you tiger look full size!
rfeehan
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 727 Posts
KitMaker Network: 67 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 16, 2009 - 06:52 AM UTC
D40 is a great choice I have had a D40X for a year and I love it. I still am learning about all things camera related but the options I have now are virtually unlimited. Get yourself the remote shutter release. Its inexpensive and really essential to taking model pictures to avoid camera shake. I think I paid around 10.00 bucks for mine.

The HeliconSoft program really looks impressive. This picture over on Missing Links really illustrates what it does. Every part of that image is in focus.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/235270/message/1215609230/results+improving...

Not sure how I URL that on here but you can cut and paste it.
motorbreath23
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 159 Posts
KitMaker Network: 20 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 10:07 PM UTC
I feel like the software works, however the image looks very flat to me. I guess its fine if you are trying to explain details, however for aesthetic purposes I'm not sure I like it.
 _GOTOTOP