_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!
Built a model or part from your own materials lately?
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Scratchbuilt V-10 Prime Mover Diesel
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 2,058 Posts
KitMaker Network: 787 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 06:49 PM UTC
So, I have a project in the works for the upcoming campaigns. Parts of it have been built. Parts of it are being built. Parts upon parts have yet to be built.
One of the parts being built right now is an engine. A big, turbo-charged diesel V-10.
I'd like to share this build with you guys. I am having a really good time.

The main block starts us off. Just the Y-shape of the tall diesel cut from .040 sheet.

Then, the sides of the block were done. Again, just sheet plastic and an extrusion or two.

The turbo frame came next. This is the front of the engine. I also added the valve covers, complete with lift irons.

Then, the exhaust fittings and turbo fan centers. The turbo exhaust will go from the sleeves off the exhaust to around the center.

The rear of the engine will be mostly hidden from view, but, I needed to set up the cooling system. I also show the fuel rail start and the fuel line going to the double filter. From there the plumbing will go to the fuel tank...wherever I put it.

Tomorrow, I show the actual turbocharger routing. You can kind-of see it in the two pics directly above on the far side of the engine, but, the pics I took of it didn't come out. I forgot to adjust the exposure and the white and silver bled to all heck.

Like I said, I'm having fun with this one and there will eventually be a lot to show from this build, but the rest of the project is for the "What-if" Campaign or the "ACUTR Again-Salute to Steve snr" Campaign I'm trying to build interest in.

More later,

Cuhail
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 12:49 AM UTC
lookin good!!!!!!
newfish
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,329 Posts
KitMaker Network: 167 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 01:16 AM UTC
looking good buddy !

what scale is it and are you building the whole vehicle or just the engine?

Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 02:41 AM UTC
Thanks guys!

James, it scales out at 1/35 or so. It's about 2-1/2" high. (I'll do a picture with it next to a figure later) The engine is for a rail project I'm doing which is still rated TOP SECRET. (It will be unveiled in a full build-log for the "What-if" or "ACUTR Again" campaigns.)

It (The engine) still has a long way to go. I still have to route the turbo air intake, all the oil lines and mounts and stuff.

Imput, Imput, I need Imput!

Cuhail
newfish
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 04:09 AM UTC
great murphy it looks bigger than that to be honest

top secret ay cool i take it your doing the armoured train?

ive always wanted to build an armoured train i have an intereast in rail during the second world war because my great grandad drove a steam loco through the war years and i have some ver intereasting stories and i don tmind shairng them to any other rail fans:P

Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 05:06 AM UTC

Ha! That's cool. My mom was a teenager during the second world war and I used to just sit and listen to all the tales of Chicago when she was a kid.

As far as the Top Secret project....rumor has it that yes, it is the rail tank. Unconfirmed though.

He he he...

Cuhail
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 05:47 AM UTC

Okay, I had to retake the turbo route pics, so, I put a 1/35 scale figure next to it, for comparison.

Pretty big. Normally, a modern, American, General Purpose (GP) Locomotive will have two of these, end-to-end turning a generator....like such:

I don't have the room in the vehicle to host such a setup and it's not a "puller" anyway, so I went with just the one.

So far, I've used technical drawings, photos of in-use and pulled-out motor images and some manufacturers promo pics to make this engine look fairly believable.
As usual, I allow myself artistic licence and departure from rivet-counting exactness so I can model comfortably. I just like cutting and gluing plastic into relative shapes and devices. Who cares how precise it is, right? I stress NOT!
matt
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 05:47 AM UTC
Yep... unconfirmed here too... right Murph??? hehe Now correct me if I'm wrong... but aren't modern Loco's all Diesel/electric??? meaning you have a diesel genset powering electric motors at the drive wheels??

so in theroy the genset could be anywhere in the railtank?
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 05:59 AM UTC
Matt:
If you look at the picture I posted above of the SD Loco with the hood off, between the driver's cab and the engine is a huge AC generator. It generates a buttload of MEGA watts, which, powers most of the electronics as well as transfers power to the dynamic brake system.
The supposed [censored by PTB] project will have a generator in between the fighting compartment (center) and the engine room (rear). It, too, will be scratchbuilt, although, I may use an old, burned-out electric motor to replicate the generator body.

Cuhail
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 06:37 AM UTC

Matt, a good deal of my research into how to do this ...project ...came from simple explainations.
HowThingsWork.com/Locos was, by far, the simplest one, with neat Flash/hover pictures.
I have a buddy who boards in our finished basement in the winter. He understands how engines work and can put them into a perspective that helps me replicate it in plastic. He is an enormous help too.

Thought I'd just add that,
Cuhail
matt
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 06:41 AM UTC
Sweet... I did a little looking at lunch and the EMD-710's in (8,12,16 or 20 cyls) each cylinder had a 710cuin displacement...DAMN ( iirc it's a 9.06" bore and 11" stroke)

You must have been posting the same time i was with the above...LOL
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 08:45 AM UTC

I did some research on the subject and only came across two possible tie-ins with the Top Secret project...

Possible Link #1
Possible Link #2

Just reporting what I find....

Cuhail
newfish
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 10:21 AM UTC
thats a warflat wagon im building a clear picture now

lol it looks impressive i didnt know your a rail fan murphy

VonCuda
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 2,216 Posts
KitMaker Network: 399 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 11:09 AM UTC
This is cool Murphy. This is exactly what I was intending to do myself if the T2K rail campaign ever gets going. That's why I was asking the other day if anyone had any "prime mover" photos or reference material. I've about decided on building a big Cat engine though instead of the diesel electric. Something simple like a big straight 8 connected to a hydrolic pump with gear drives at each wheel......like in an excavator.

Question: What are you using for the turbos? Is that heated round sprue or is in solder?

I'll be watching this thread closely. Need all the tips I can get.

Hermon
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 11:33 AM UTC
Originally posted by newfish

Quoted Text

thats a warflat wagon im building a clear picture now

lol it looks impressive i didnt know your a rail fan murphy
C[ ]

-Let's see.... How about me playing with trains at age 6, in 1975?

I inherited a good deal from my dad. My embracing of my Irishness, my love of trains....and gray hair by 30.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VonCuda-
I thought about a big CAT engine, but, the power transfer via electricity vs. mechanical was more practical in real life and in doing the modeling. Besides, it's modern, what I'm doing and the motive power I'm using is easily scavenged in real life. Maybe not the most practical vehicle, but, in the situation I'm placing it in, makes it reasonable.

Here's the latest artists rendering of the project...

Heh, heh, heh

Cuhail

[edit] Oh, and the turbo tube is solder...well, most of it. I'll probably redo them because I chewed up the solder (a little) in the process of getting them in the right position.[/edit]
KoSprueOne
Visit this Community
Myanmar
entire network: 4,011 Posts
KitMaker Network: 879 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 12:54 PM UTC
Alright. Very cool project.

newfish
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 08:20 PM UTC
i thought you'd do that ive seen you show this picture before

bless look at you and the train set

keep up the good work murph

jaypee
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,699 Posts
KitMaker Network: 114 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 10:24 PM UTC
dia duit Cuhail, Your auld man looks like proper son of Éireann.

There was me thinking the diesel electric was to power a
massive van der graf death ray machine

Éireann gu brath
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 06:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

dia duit Cuhail, Your auld man looks like proper son of Éireann.

Aye, he did indeed. He'd out-pray ya in church, out-drink ya at the pub, and out-fight ya in the alley. Fortunately, me mum was quite the temperance!

Quoted Text

There was me thinking the diesel electric was to power a
massive van der graf death ray machine

It's not out of the question. I'm liking the process. Sooooo much more "satisfying" than OOB stuff.

Quoted Text

Éireann gu brath

Slainte! I, of course, will be buying the next round?

Cuhail
VonCuda
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 2,216 Posts
KitMaker Network: 399 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 09:26 AM UTC
Hey Murphy, I was monkeying around with the metal spring part of a wooden clothes pin last night thinking of possibilities. Would that be any help on the turbo tubes? Just a thought.

Hermon
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 09:33 AM UTC

A bit too small of a diameter for the size I'm doing. With the maleableness and workability of the solder, it'll do fine.
But thank you. You're starting to "see" the force now, aren't you?

Cuhail
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 04:33 PM UTC

A bit more progress, this time on the deck the engine will be mounted on. The mountings are in place. The rectangle openings in the floor will be covered with brass, see-through sheet that will imply access to underneath.

This part has to be done so I know where the fuel, fresh-air intake, electric and cooling systems plumbing gets routed to. I will install the left side wall panel along with cabinets for electrical and such.

Coming along,

Cuhail

thegirl
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 6,743 Posts
KitMaker Network: 456 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 03:58 AM UTC
I've been following this for a while now , even though I'm not into the tank things , I'm very impressed with the skills you have . I'm slowly getting into the srcatchbuilding . I scratch the cockpit in the D.Va with the help of PE parts . Watching you guy's do this kind of work is very inspirational on improving my skills . Thanks Cuhail !
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 05:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I've been following this for a while now , even though I'm not into the tank things , I'm very impressed with the skills you have . I'm slowly getting into the srcatchbuilding . I scratch the cockpit in the D.Va with the help of PE parts . Watching you guy's do this kind of work is very inspirational on improving my skills . Thanks Cuhail !

Terri, you can do this kind of stuff. It's not so hard as you think. And thank YOU for checking out my thread!
I suggest you sign up for the ACUTR campaign. You pick out a fairly simple subject, you scratchbuild it, you get a ribbon. The whole point of the campaign is to share help and techniques between everyone. I'll help you out as much as I can and will answer any and all questions to the best of my ability, as will everyone else, as well. That's the drive of the ACUTR campaign.

Jump in. It's just plastic and glue, a hobby knife and a ruler. (And some sandpaper....and ...stuff) Don't let it intimidate you. Once you dive in, you'll start seeing all sorts of bits and pieces that you can use, all over the house. Stuff you've thrown away for 10 years, will soon glow with application ideas. Twist ties, paper clips, pen caps, etc.

Cuhail
thegirl
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 6,743 Posts
KitMaker Network: 456 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2009 - 02:59 AM UTC
Thanks for the offer to join . But I have way to much on my plate right now to take on other project . However, in the future I would love to join . This would be a good a challenge of the skills .
 _GOTOTOP