_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: The Bush Telegraph
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Cleaning the Barbie...
youngc
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
entire network: 2,166 Posts
KitMaker Network: 473 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 11:18 PM UTC
G'day,

Do you have a problem cleaning the barbecue after each use, spending hours scraping away the black grot, stuck like glue to the hotplate? Have you tried paint scrapers, oven cleaner, battery acid, jackhammer...flamethrower?

Well...my dad and I were put onto a little secret that works a charm... beer.

Just crank the heat and pour on a bit of (cheap) beer, strips the grot right off.

Give it a try, it really works!

...but not on grills...

:P
Chas
outback
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 87 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 11:32 PM UTC
Hey Chas.

There are several things wrong with this.

1. Using Beer for a purpose that it was not intended for.
2. Cleaning the BBy
3. Using Beer to clean the BB and
4. Any combination of the above.

Seriously, I've never cleaned the barbie using anything other than heat, oil, scraper, and paper towel or newspaper. Heat the barby plate to normal cooking temperature, poor a little oil, scrape of flavour adding mixture (it's not grot it's what gives it the flavour) and wipe on paper towel. This is what I've done for nearly thirty years on all types of plates (expect stainless steel - they were invented by a BBQ heathen).

What I do use beer for is to marinate the steak while it's cooking. While on a hot plate, poor a little over the steak, simmer for a few seconds then turn. Don't forget to take one or two for the cook. Remember, alway poke and prod and turn the meat....often. To do anything else is unAustralian.

Cheers
youngc
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
entire network: 2,166 Posts
KitMaker Network: 473 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2009 - 12:22 AM UTC
We never used to clean our barbie, resulting in a huge build up of "flavour" over the years. So we tried beer which took off the lumpy, thick slabs, but still left a 3-4mm layer of "flavour", which is important to prevent rust too.

I just thought it was such an easy way to get rid of the build up, no scraping or paper needed, and the hotplate gains an "all new type of flavour".

Chas
thomokiwi
Visit this Community
Christchurch, New Zealand
entire network: 438 Posts
KitMaker Network: 52 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2009 - 10:35 PM UTC
While I admit that I am from across the ditch. Using said brown nectar for cleaning the BarB, this could be classed as a sin however I have to agree with Chas. It does add the appropriate flavour and assists in marinating while cooking.
outback
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 87 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 10:55 PM UTC
Ok Ok I'll try it next time. I really shouldn't complain about it if I haven't tried it.

Cheers
 _GOTOTOP