History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
books by Antony Beevor
Eaglewatch
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 180 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 11:48 AM UTC
Hi all i was just wondering if anyone has read these two books by Antony Beevor 1) Stalingrad
2) Berlin the downfall

The first book was an enthralling read and was very well researched showing eyewitness accounts from both sides but what amazed me so much was the style in which it was written it was almost like reading a novel rather than a factual book the narrative flowed well and you found yourself unable to put the book down i found the second book Berlin was a little slower to get into but i'm now on the last two chapters (it's a big book ) but nevertheless i'd recommend thes books to anybody particularly if you're looking for inspiration for dio ideas
jaypee
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,699 Posts
KitMaker Network: 114 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 12:11 PM UTC
not read either of them but his book on the spanish civil war struck me the same way.
If only history was taught like this at school i would have paid a lot more attention
sgtsauer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 2,605 Posts
KitMaker Network: 650 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 01:04 PM UTC
I've read Stalingrad.

I couldn't hardly put the book down. It is fantastic!
Rockfall
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 884 Posts
KitMaker Network: 278 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 02:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi all i was just wondering if anyone has read these two books by Antony Beevor 1) Stalingrad
2) Berlin the downfall

The first book was an enthralling read and was very well researched showing eyewitness accounts from both sides but what amazed me so much was the style in which it was written it was almost like reading a novel rather than a factual book the narrative flowed well and you found yourself unable to put the book down i found the second book Berlin was a little slower to get into but i'm now on the last two chapters (it's a big book ) but nevertheless i'd recommend thes books to anybody particularly if you're looking for inspiration for dio ideas

I have read both and feel pretty much the same as you. Stalingrad was a great read. I liked how he described the events leading up to Stalingrad. Right from the initial invasion onwards.

What a tragic story. I felt pity and disgust for both sides equally.

Jeff

youngc
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
entire network: 2,166 Posts
KitMaker Network: 473 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 09:41 PM UTC
I think I started to read Stalingrad at a bookshop in Perth airport while waiting for a flight. From the pages I read, it appeared very interesting but I never got around to buying it...(I guess you can say I was able to put the book down!)

I've got about 20 books that still need reading so I won't be buying more any time soon...
Eaglewatch
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 07:41 AM UTC
Thanks for your thoughts guys JP i agree with you on the fact that schools should teach us more about the sacrifices made during the 20th century rather than teaching us about Ancient Rome (if my comments offend anyone please accept my apologies here it's not my intention to offend anyone it's just an opinion i have ) i remember studying Nazi Germany in high school and i was so into the study that at times i found myself correcting the teacher and when it came down to the G.C.S.E. exam 3/4 of the paper was on the bloody history of medicine so inatead of getting the A i was hoping for i just managed to scape in a C .

just to finish off i've now finished Berlin the downfall 1945 and have now started reading a book by Norman Davies called Rising 44 it's about the Warsaw uprising not to be confused with the 1943 Ghetto uprising and so far it's turning out to be an enjoyable read it's just a pity one has to go work otherwise i'd be reading this book cover to cover
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 12:52 PM UTC
I read both,but I enjoyed Stalingrad more,it was more captivating then the one on Berlin
Eaglewatch
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 02:06 PM UTC
I agree Anthony for me Stalingrad was the better of the two books it pulled no punches when it came to describing the hell those guys endured
chris1
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
entire network: 949 Posts
KitMaker Network: 129 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 04:43 PM UTC
hi all
Picked up Stalingrad from the library today.
Based on whats been said so far I'll enjoy (not the best word to describe) it.

Chris
Eaglewatch
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2009 - 01:20 PM UTC
Hi Chris i have no doubts you'll enjoy Stalingrad perhaps when you've finished it you might want to get Enemy at the gates (not to be confused with the hollywood movie ) this book is also a griping read and really gives you some insight into the hell that was Stalingrad
chris1
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
entire network: 949 Posts
KitMaker Network: 129 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 08:21 AM UTC
Hi Lyndon,
Enemy at the gates was a great book,I read it years ago,even my wife liked it.
That Author also wrote a book about the fall of Berlin which was also good but not as good as Enemy at the gates

Chris
Eaglewatch
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 09:20 AM UTC
Hi Chris i didn't know the author of Enemy at the gates wrote a book about Berlin i'll have to have a look for that on Amazon or ebay cheers
Eaglewatch
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, December 09, 2012 - 09:45 AM UTC
for fans of Antony Beevor then i highly recommend his latest book D-Day again another superb masterpiece of a book it only took me a week to read it cover to cover a truly epic read
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 09, 2012 - 09:54 AM UTC
D-Day was okay,but it just didn't grab me like Stalingrad,his best by far.

For something diffrent,I checked out his book on the Spanish Civil War,I enjoyed it and learned a lot.
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,094 Posts
KitMaker Network: 134 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 09, 2012 - 11:26 PM UTC
You guys should check out his very latest work, 'The Second World War'- he doesn't get into quite as much detail about each campaign or operation as he did in, say, 'Stalingrad', but nonethteless it is a masterful piece of work.
MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 2,210 Posts
KitMaker Network: 345 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 12, 2013 - 10:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You guys should check out his very latest work, 'The Second World War'- he doesn't get into quite as much detail about each campaign or operation as he did in, say, 'Stalingrad', but nonethteless it is a masterful piece of work.

I'm currently reading The Second World War. I gotta say, a pretty captivating book. Whenever I'm reading something, it's almost always that book, even during lunch at school. It's probably the most detailed book I've ever read. But it's a pretty big and long book... On my ipod, with the size font I've set iBooks to, it's over 3,000 pages long..
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,094 Posts
KitMaker Network: 134 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 12, 2013 - 10:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I'm currently reading The Second World War. I gotta say, a pretty captivating book. Whenever I'm reading something, it's almost always that book, even during lunch at school. It's probably the most detailed book I've ever read. But it's a pretty big and long book... On my ipod, with the size font I've set iBooks to, it's over 3,000 pages long..

Yeah it is a fairly long one, but captivating as you say. If you haven't read any of his other books I strongly recommend them.