History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
Worst Defeat
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 6,149 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,551 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 05, 2003 - 04:17 AM UTC
I know there are book answers, but I have a question for all you military history buffs: "What was the worst battlefield defeat we Americans ever suffered?"
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 05, 2003 - 04:22 AM UTC
Had to be Gettysburg or one of the other battles of the ACW, those truly were the bloodiest days in American military history... Jim
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 05, 2003 - 04:26 AM UTC
DJ - I'd offer up General Custer's last stand as the worst defeat.

Gunnie
m1garand
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,248 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 05, 2003 - 04:30 AM UTC
How about Kasserine Pass. Taught us some humility and forced us to change our doctrine. Along with major losses.
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 05, 2003 - 04:43 AM UTC
How 'bout the Chinese offensive in Korea of November 1950. Huge intelligence failure and general whuppin'
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 05, 2003 - 05:46 AM UTC
Keep those cards and letters coming. My tragic recollection would be the loss of the Philippines. Along with the Pacific outposts (Wake, Guam) we just abandoned those people. Terrible.
djj
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 05, 2003 - 06:21 AM UTC
Another one... How about TET? Certainly did not lose tactically but lost the political and propanda battle big time. CIA employees having a running gun battle with Viet Cong sappers at the US embassy did not go over big at home...
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 05, 2003 - 06:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Another one... How about TET? Certainly did not lose tactically but lost the political and propanda battle big time. CIA employees having a running gun battle with Viet Cong sappers at the US embassy did not go over big at home...

Good call. Remeber the VC getting a bullet in the head administered by the police chief...Just great!
PLMP110
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 1,318 Posts
KitMaker Network: 409 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 05, 2003 - 09:39 AM UTC
What about Pearl Harbor? Up until that time, the US was just a sleeping giant. Japan walked right up and punched us in the eye, and we never saw it coming.

Patrick
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 1,109 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 05, 2003 - 04:48 PM UTC
Letting the British come into Washington and burn the White House might qualify. I guess the battle that led to this was Bladensburg.

Nic
warlock0322
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,036 Posts
KitMaker Network: 152 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 05, 2003 - 06:32 PM UTC
I would have to say Cold Harbor. The First real meeting between Grant and Lee. It was said that Grant never forgot it and learned never to make that kind of mistake again.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 05, 2003 - 07:51 PM UTC
Fredricksburg and Chancellorsville in 1862/1863. Pretty lopsided victories for the south. I'ld throw in the Alamo, but that wasn't the US, it was the Republic of Texas which was it's own country (or trying to be) back then
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 05, 2003 - 11:14 PM UTC
Well, we also have the surrender at the Battle of the Bulge of the 106th Infantry Division.
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,315 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 05, 2003 - 11:35 PM UTC
Hi, I've always heard that the worst defeat of an American army was Arthur St. Clair's defeat by the Miami chief Little Turtle and some confederated tribes in the Ohio country back in the late 1700s. Since I'm partial to the American Indians and their religious beliefs it's doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure which side I would have fought on if I had been there. But this is history.

Take care, sgirty
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 05, 2003 - 11:38 PM UTC
Sgirty, Wow, someone else knows about Little Turtle. I live in Indiana, as a matter of fact the county next to mine is named "Miami." Anyway, Indiana was going to put Little Turtle on our state quarter until the General Assembly realized 90% of the people in the state didn't have any idea who he was. Kinda sad...
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, June 06, 2003 - 01:17 AM UTC
Little Turtle! Wow, you folks are true histroy buffs.
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
Posted: Friday, June 06, 2003 - 03:17 AM UTC
There was a good article on Little Turtle in Military Heritage Magazine (maybe a year ago). I was thinking about him too.

There were some pretty bad defeats in the Civil War, but since that was Americans fighting Americans........

There were quite a few poorly managed battles by the US in the War of 1812. They were on a pretty small scale compared to the Civil War and WWII, though.

Nic
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,315 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 06, 2003 - 04:15 AM UTC
Hi,

Yeah. I'm kind of glad Little Turtle didn't get the 'honor' of being placed on the white man's money. That would have done him a great injustice in my opinion.

Isn't it kind of strange that the only Native Americans we do honor to in this country are the dead ones who no longer pose a threat to our ways.

Take care, sgirty.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, June 06, 2003 - 04:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi,

Yeah. I'm kind of glad Little Turtle didn't get the 'honor' of being placed on the white man's money. That would have done him a great injustice in my opinion.

Isn't it kind of strange that the only Native Americans we do honor to in this country are the dead ones who no longer pose a threat to our ways.

Take care, sgirty.

Follow-up. What happens to this fine fellow? Is he killed in battle?
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Friday, June 06, 2003 - 04:51 AM UTC
Little Turtle died in Fort Wayne Indiana in 1812 at the age of 60...

http://www.ohiohistorycentral.org/ohc/history/h_indian/people/lturtle.shtml
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, June 06, 2003 - 07:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Little Turtle died in Fort Wayne Indiana in 1812 at the age of 60...

http://www.ohiohistorycentral.org/ohc/history/h_indian/people/lturtle.shtml

Fascinating. Thanks
War_Machine
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 702 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 06, 2003 - 01:48 PM UTC
This is a tough topic to come up with a single answer to because there are so many different variables to take into effect when trying to decide if something is the worst in a given category. Was it worst in casualties, territory lost, property damage, historical significance, political fallout, or whatnot? You could look at each of these categories and come up with several possibilities for every one of them. Personally, if I tried to mull all the variables over to come up with a single worst battle defeat, I fear my head would explode, and that'd really put a cramp in my modeling style. Thus, I shall go with a copout answer (don't you hate it when somebody pulls something like this? ) and say that while many battles have been lost by the U.S., it only lost one war: Vietnam. The U.S. failed to accomplish its goals, over 58,000 Americans lost their lives, and the political image and psyche of the U.S. suffered damage that is still being felt to this day. Some would say Korea might qualify as a loss, but I believe the continued existance and progress of South Korea defeats any such arguments. We didn't really win that one, but we didn't lose it either. But we did lose Vietnam. That to my mind is far worse than any single battlefield defeat.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 07, 2003 - 06:09 AM UTC
Well, another interesting topic area: "were we defeated in Vietnam?"
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
Posted: Saturday, June 07, 2003 - 07:37 AM UTC
I was thinking about that too. The US lost the war, but what particular battle did they get totally thrashed in? Even the Tet Offensive was an American victory.

It's kind of strange that the US suffered decisive defeats on the battlefield in the Revolution, the War of 1812, the Civil War, the fighting against the Natives, World War II, and the Korean War, but they were victorious or at least fought to a draw in all these wars. The Vietnam War was the one they lost. It just goes to show what a different kind of war Vietnam really was. Not the conventional type at all.

Nic
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 3,172 Posts
KitMaker Network: 612 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 07, 2003 - 10:52 AM UTC
How about Anzio? Or would that be more of a blunder by the higher ups?