Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Santa was real good to me
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 02, 2009 - 11:24 PM UTC
Well as I was a good boy this year Santa bought me some parts to build a new Computer.

Still Missing the second drive but here soon

Another Gig of ram also.

500 Gig drive.
Beats my old 160 gig drives.

Wild how these things have gotten so big and cheap now I remember my first real Computer in 97 and cost $3100,00 to build a Pentium 2 with a 10 gig drive!!!

treadhead1952
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
entire network: 552 Posts
KitMaker Network: 46 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 01:23 AM UTC
Looks pretty happening, but I don't know about that "Pink" fan....

Check out Tiger Direct for some good deals on terrabyte drives, I picked one up for under a $100 just before Christmas.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 12:25 AM UTC
Thanks Jay the pink fan is gone now.

I like to buy drives local as to return but most of the parts came from there Sister store which they bought Comp USA.
Strange as they closed all there stores here in OK,but kept a few in Fl and ILL.
treadhead1952
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 01:20 AM UTC
Yeah, it is a bummer about Comp USA, they closed out their store here as well. One good thing about it, I did snag a "killer" Epson scanner/copier from them the week that they closed down for wa-ay cheaper than I could have gotten it anywhere else.

The Seagate terrabyte drive I got from Tiger Direct brought my capacity up to 1.5 Tbytes worth of storage, lots of room for everything under the sun now.

Now if Microshaft would hurry up and bring out that new operating system..........
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Monday, January 05, 2009 - 10:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Yeah, it is a bummer about Comp USA, they closed out their store here as well. One good thing about it, I did snag a "killer" Epson scanner/copier from them the week that they closed down for wa-ay cheaper than I could have gotten it anywhere else.

The Seagate terrabyte drive I got from Tiger Direct brought my capacity up to 1.5 Tbytes worth of storage, lots of room for everything under the sun now.

Now if Microshaft would hurry up and bring out that new operating system..........

Jay I hear what you say about MS I have Vista Upgrade I might use it on downstairs one as I will be using a Wireless USB router so I do not want an conflicts from MS on running two of the same.
Any problems with That Seagate Drive?

I still like to buy local but the price sure is tempting.

Thanks
Jeff
treadhead1952
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 03:42 PM UTC
Hmm, so far the only problem I have is finding enough stuff to make a dent in the capacity of that thing. I have about 200 books scanned in as PDF's and they don't even make it sigh.

Of course, I haven't gotten started on the aricraft, armor or personnel titles yet. Then there is the idea of copying my 25 gigabytes worth of music as a backup. It sure is a pain in the behind having to rip all those CDs when the primary hard drive takes a dump. Not to mention I can't plug my Zune back into the 'puter until they are all in otherwise the Zune will delete what it can't find as not being legit. Gotta luv DRM.

If you have any concerns about it, add a protection plan through Tiger Direct, I have done so with a couple of RAM sticks and they honored it in jig time with no questions asked.

For my primary back ups, I scored a nice 250 Gb Ferrari external Hard Drive that I refresh once a week, dumping the old back up in the process. It sure beats the heck out of paying some service online annually to do it for you. Having two places to have your stuff besides the primary is a great way to beat a malfunction in any one.