_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Mancave makeover.....
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 4,287 Posts
KitMaker Network: 824 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 05:48 PM UTC
Or, How I spent my Christmas Vacation. lol I got tired of how stacked, packed and generally how cluttered my room was becoming so I started rearranging things shortly after I began my break for Christmas and New Years. I fell into a "can't pass this up" deal on some new display cases which began the whole process. I sold two of my older wooden cases, and moved the three new all glass ones in. I ended up with 2 four footers and a 6 footer. All three had lights that had the leads cut. I reinstalled new power cords, and wired them all into a power strip. Flip a single switch and I got lights in all of them. I have some extra glass left for more shelves when the new builds get going again. Dropped the level of one shelf to better match the other one adjacent to it, then added another 8 foot shelf in the span between them to better distribute my 1/72 and 1/144 a/c kits. Picked up two cabinets and a new counter top this morning and installed them to carry my workbench around the corner thereby making it easier to go from building to painting. Now I just spin around to the right and I'm there. The corner cabinet houses a lazy susan with 2 shelves that hold all my rattle cans, thinners, etc. The drawers on the right hold most of my bottles of paint. The others are in the white bins to the left. I totally tore my paint booth apart, cleaned, scraped, chiseled, smacked, and generally got all the crap out of the motor housing, and exhaust tube. I'll keep using this one while I build my new one. I'm waiting on the blower to show in the mail first. It'll be bigger so I can work on my subs and other large builds easier/ It'll vent out the window in the picture. I'm building a larger breakdown photo set up too. Just haven't picked up the PVC for that as yet. I'll keep it stored on the floor behind the display cases when not in use. Anyway, I know you guys just saw these recently, but thought I would share the changes that I made to everything. Figured you guys would appreciate it. All the wife said was "Nice".. lol. I guess that's better than "pack your crap and get out".. "Q"
The BEFORE pics-

Now the AFTER pics-

And the new cases-

sauceman
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 2,672 Posts
KitMaker Network: 179 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 02, 2009 - 01:08 AM UTC
Nice

You have a better setup than my LHS

cheers from the sandbox
DT61
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,226 Posts
KitMaker Network: 399 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 02, 2009 - 01:09 AM UTC
That is one terrific man cave!!! I want to find a display cabinet like the ones you have.

Darryl
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 02, 2009 - 01:15 AM UTC
Think I need to build some display cases...
ZombieKraut
Visit this Community
Aargau, Switzerland
entire network: 72 Posts
KitMaker Network: 15 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 02, 2009 - 01:26 AM UTC
It really does look a lot more like a store than a man cave though . I think anyone would feel a lot better modeling in that environment than in a cluttered up basement. I know how important it is to sort things out because sometimes everything you need is there but you just don't want to start building because you feel cramped by your surroundings. You did some great work Matthew..... now, start modeling!

-Mike-
Rockfall
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 884 Posts
KitMaker Network: 278 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 02, 2009 - 02:11 AM UTC
I just showed my wife this thead.

Her first thought was like the others that it was a store.

Then she remarked that you could totally have an awesome scrapbooking work area in there too. (She is huge into that. It almost as bad as models. She even has her own stash of paper, supplies, etc.)

Tanks and scrapbooking....thats my future guys.

Thanks for sharing Matthew. That is a really nice set up. I just want to come over and spend the day looking at stuff. One day when the kids are older I look forward to a room like that. Till then I will have to do with my storage room in the basement.

Jeff
MSGsummit
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 751 Posts
KitMaker Network: 175 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 02, 2009 - 03:09 AM UTC
I'm sooo jealous!
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 4,287 Posts
KitMaker Network: 824 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 02, 2009 - 03:38 AM UTC
Thanks for the kudos guys. Glad you like it. It only took me 20+ years to get here. Started off in a barracks room, then a 6'x8' room off my master bedroom, a cold unfinshed basement, finished 3rd car portion of the garage, and finally this. Now the wife is talking about moving....not if I have anything to di with it. lol. Thanks again. "Q"
VonCuda
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 2,216 Posts
KitMaker Network: 399 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 02, 2009 - 03:57 AM UTC
If THAT is a mancave then I must be working in a man HOLE under a rock. Sheeeeeesh! I'm sick now.
Very nice.........I bow to you sir.

ps: That redhead pin up in the corner is HOT! Reminds me of my wife 20 years and 2 kids ago.

Hermon
 _GOTOTOP