_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Scale Modeling: A Wife's Perspective
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 03:47 PM UTC
Actually the title should read: "Why Scale Modeling is a Great Hobby: A Wife's Perspective"

I came across this link via pF, and just had to share it. I haven't printed this out for my wife or sent her the link (yet) simply because I'm not sure she'd agree - she is one of those women that only took in the bits of "Men are from Mars, Women are from some other darn place" she thought relevant and dismissed the rest as bumpf

Anyways, I reckon this lady is a gem, and I reckon there are plenty of other partners (to use the PC term) that feel the same: http://www.starshipmodeler.com/perspective.htm

Rudi
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 5,026 Posts
KitMaker Network: 461 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 09:28 PM UTC
I enjoyed her perspective, it looks like their family will have a nice long and healthy relationship.

Robert
ZombieKraut
Visit this Community
Aargau, Switzerland
entire network: 72 Posts
KitMaker Network: 15 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 09:56 PM UTC
Wow, this lady finally got it! I wish all of 'em were this understanding of the hobby, could save guys a ton of stress.

-Mike-
blkhwkmech
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 90 Posts
KitMaker Network: 20 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 10:22 PM UTC
I have Heard that the Family that models togather stays togather. I guess I have it made my wife has more kits in her stash than I do.
DT61
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,226 Posts
KitMaker Network: 399 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 02, 2009 - 12:50 AM UTC
Rudi,

I just read the article to my wife. She has always been extremely supportive of my hobby and is responsible for getting me a great roll top desk so that I can work in the livingroom with her She has also ordered me numerous kits and other goodies over the years so I know she is paying attention to what I am interested in.

Darryl
newfish
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,329 Posts
KitMaker Network: 167 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 05, 2009 - 10:47 PM UTC
its looking hopeful for me then isnt it ?!?!?!?

my girlfriend thinks i waste my time and spend far too much on the hobby

and moans at me about my stash =/

but did say that once my stash is built

shed buy me one

tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 2,847 Posts
KitMaker Network: 31 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 06:32 AM UTC
Very interesting article. I had my wife look it over and she pretty much agreed with many of the salient points. When early last year I decided to get back into the hobby (after nearly a decade away) my SWMBO was surprisingly supportive and believe it or not, interested in the modelling process.

Her hobby is decorative painting and IMHO she is extremely gifted and talented. I have been extremely supportive of her efforts to develop and refine her skills. Her interest in my first build led her to follow the Sherman Campaign thread and offer suggestions and observations on how I might improve mine. She even took the time to see if her medium, acrylic craft paints, might be useful in the development of effective weathering techniques as well as the employment of judicious highlighting to further enhance the finished model (I'd hardly ever weathered or highlighted much in the past).

While I only completed two builds last year she has shown such interest in the hobby that I offered to get her a kit of her own to experiment with. This past Christmas she was surprised to open a gift that contained a 1/72 Airfix Spitfire I (she has often commented that she found the Spit's contours graceful and appealing). She thoroughly surprised me by the fact that of all the gifts I got her (including perfume, jewellery) the Spit seemed to really capture her interest.

She started her build on January 2nd and has almost daily done some work on it. While a very simple kit by most standards I have had to be there and hold her hand through the unknown (to her) assembly process. With the kit assembled she is now entering the phase where her painting skills can truly shine. This entire process has seemed to bring us even closer together and the experience has allowed her to offer even more constructive feedback on my current build. She says that she doesn't know if she'll want to try another build but is grateful for having the experience.

Cheers,
Jan
 _GOTOTOP