_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Chrome Coated Parts
Loobes
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 409 Posts
KitMaker Network: 33 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 26, 2008 - 09:36 PM UTC
Hello,
I am building my second car and have come across Chrome Coated parts, now none of the paint i have will stick to them, any advice?

Loobes
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 26, 2008 - 10:43 PM UTC
If you plan on painting the whole piece, the best bet is to strip the chrome off. All you have to do is soak them in some bleack, simple green, brake fluid, or oven cleaner for a while. The chrome will dissolve, leaving nice, clean plastic instead.
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 3,770 Posts
KitMaker Network: 747 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 27, 2008 - 02:39 AM UTC
Like Gino said, I wound up using spray oven cleaner some time back for my Dodge Deora chrome parts. After a bit, the oven cleaner removed most of the chrome plating and an old toothbrush removed most of the rest. Certain the quickest way I've come across.

Mike
samkidd
Visit this Community
Alaska, United States
entire network: 530 Posts
KitMaker Network: 60 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 27, 2008 - 03:54 PM UTC

Not all types of model chrome comes off with regular household bleach but that is the one I've had the greatest success with. Simply fill a small container with bleach and then dunk the part. For several minutes you'll think that nothing is happening then quite quickly the chrome will completely disappear.

Hope it helps,
Jim
Large Scale Armory
MacTrucks
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 285 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 06:05 PM UTC
Also, solvent based model glues will not adhere to the chrome either. You'll need to carefully scrape the chrome from the area you want to glue. The chrome is a very thin metallic deposit over the parts. It is not as durable as chrome plating found on real cars.

Also, a specific clear coat is applied to the parts prior to plating. This coating evens out the surface of the molded plastic part and also helps the metallic deposition adhere. On occassion the clear coat can cause problems for painting or gluing as well. While bleach will remove the metal it won't remove the clear. Oven cleaner will remove the clear, but is caustic and should be handled with gloves. Yeah, I've tried to be "manly" and wound out with messed up skin in the process. And the fumes can get you as well. Brake fluid, while an effective paint and clear coat stripper, tends to soften or soak into some plastics. My preference for low-buck paint stripping is Castrol Super Clean in the purple container. Again use gloves and always test a piece of sprue to make sure it doesn't ruin that critical part. Finally, if you just want to strip the chrome, not the clear, bleach, glass cleaners containing ammonia, or ammonia will strip the metal only. just do NOT mix bleach and ammonia or you get deadly gases. No, that is NOT one thing I've experienced, nor do I plan to.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 06:27 PM UTC
This may be helpful: http://automodeler.kitmaker.net//features/1273

Cheers,
Jim
 _GOTOTOP