_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
paint booth
UNITEDSTATESNAVY
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
entire network: 243 Posts
KitMaker Network: 67 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 20, 2008 - 10:18 AM UTC
I am looking to purchase or build a paint booth as my modeling has come to a standstill again this winter..too cold to paint in garage.Previous posts have been helpful however I was frightened off by thought of blowing myself up if I did not have the proper exaust motor.Looking at the Paasche online store they do not seem concerned about having an inline fan and it looks like they are using a computer cooling fan? they only state that toxic fumes be vented outside.I figure I can build one at a fraction of the $210.00 price of the Paasche unit, or is this a bad idea? seems like the main issue would be having the motor windings insulated from paint, I am not going to install lights, just going to use portable lights.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 20, 2008 - 03:00 PM UTC
Check this gallery - It's what I did.

Spray Booth

Cheap and easy. You can slide filter in front of the fan to keep it clean.
UNITEDSTATESNAVY
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 12:35 PM UTC
looks good, the plastic storage container is a great idea, saves alot of time compared to scratch built wood or aluminum material, thanks
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 4,287 Posts
KitMaker Network: 824 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 29, 2008 - 04:37 AM UTC
Until recently I used an old kitchen cabinet that I had turned on its side. Added a bathroom exhaust fan to it, vented it to the basement window and all was good. I could put a filter in front of it as well, but usually just left it as is. As I built more and more, I found I needed a larger booth, so I removed the one I had and am in the process of building a new one. The biggest expense is the exhaust fan. The rest of the material I pretty much have on hand. I agree about the cost of the maunfactured ones, would rather build one than pay thru the nose for a prefab one. While the storage container one looks good, its way too small for what I build. I'll make sure to take some pics as I build mine, and also once it is complete. I plan on making it big enough to handle my U-boats and Gato subs...yeah, it's gona be big. "Q"
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 7,219 Posts
KitMaker Network: 981 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 29, 2008 - 05:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The biggest expense is the exhaust fan... "Q"

And as luck would have it, Radio Shacks are having clearance sales on small electric exhaust fans.
UNITEDSTATESNAVY
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
Posted: Monday, December 29, 2008 - 12:10 PM UTC
I have found a AC/heating inline duct fan at home depot for $27.00, 250cfm and it is brushless...sounds good to me
Red4
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 11:08 AM UTC
I'm rebuilding mine at the moment. Based on the demensions I am going to need at least a 375 CFM fan. I've found several of them that will work. The problem is, the way my booth is set up I need one that rotates counter clockwise, and that is proving to be a tough nut to crack. I've got my feelers out, so hopefully I'll get it taken care of soon. I cleaned out my old booth and the amount of paint that came out of the motor housing, and ductwork was amazing . I sucked it all up with the shop vac, so I might just be able to use the old booth while I'm try to get this new one built. I just installed new cabinets and another counter top too so I'm itching to get back to building and painting. The new additions will greatly ease the build process. I'll get some pics up soon once its all together. "Q"
Switzersland
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 196 Posts
KitMaker Network: 105 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 10:40 AM UTC
DR. JOHNSON SAID THAT YOU HAVE A PAINT BOOTH IN YOUR BASEMENT, HAVE YOU TAKEN SOME PICTURES OF IT TO POST ?
Removed by original poster on 12/07/09 - 23:16:06 (GMT).
Red4
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 07, 2009 - 02:14 PM UTC
Well here it is almost a year later and I finally have a pic of my new paint booth sans the fan and lights. I said it was going to be big and it is. 48"x22"x18". I was cleaning my old booth out yesterday and after all was said and done, she gave up the ghost. I had a bunch of material left over from a patio cover we installed over the summer and this was the perfect reason to use it. Took about and hour and this is where it stands as of now. I need to source a fan yet, but that should be easy enough. It will vent directly into that window behind it in the picture. I will paint it white to aide in the lighting once installed. I want to get this completed so I can get back to building. Today was my last day of classes until the semester starts again in January I want to build as much as I can until then. Thanks for looking.
"Q"
Red4
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 11:29 AM UTC
Well this beast is done and it sucks! Literally! The two speed motor on it is rated at 1365 CFM on low and almost 1600 on high. Tested it today with a rattle can of white and low speed. I think it is safe to say I won't be having any problems with this thing loading up. It's a little noisy, but I would rather deal with noise than lingering fumes. The motor is also sealed which should allow for a good long life for it. I added some lights to the interior along with the two canned ones up top. I still need to paint the interior white, but that will have to waint for little while. I will be adding a filter to the front to reduce the draw a wee bit. Anyway, here it is. Almost a year later than when I had wanted to be finish, but it is finally done. Thanks for looking, "Q"

mvfrog
Visit this Community
entire network: 369 Posts
KitMaker Network: 174 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 11:58 AM UTC
The word "bulletproof" comes to mind. Good job "Q"... I'm interested in building one myself. This helps to visualize. Nice booth.

Matt
Switzersland
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 196 Posts
KitMaker Network: 105 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 11:35 AM UTC
Sweet! Q! can't wait to see the finished booth.
 _GOTOTOP