_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Verlinden Books
Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 1,560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 344 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 21, 2002 - 01:23 AM UTC
Do any of you kow anything about the modeling books produced by Verlinden (airplane, diorama and armor)? Are they worth the money? Are they a reference you keep going back to? Are they better than the Fine Scale Modeler books on modeling? Thanks.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 21, 2002 - 01:37 AM UTC
When I first got going, I kept them pretty close at hand. They're good for reference. For a long time now, I've migrated them off the workbench, but haven't tossed them in the garbage can. They are still good references - on things I like to do, and on things I don't want to do - in finishing miniatures.

I think they are great to help a modeler get going, but I encourage everyone to find their own style and build upon that.

I feel the same about FSM - when I was starting out, it was great and they are worth keeping around to refresh yourself on basic techniques.

Gunnie
Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 1,560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 344 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 21, 2002 - 01:43 AM UTC
Great, thanks Gunnie.
Triple_M
entire network: 15 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 25, 2004 - 10:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Do any of you kow anything about the modeling books produced by Verlinden (airplane, diorama and armor)? Are they worth the money? Are they a reference you keep going back to? Are they better than the Fine Scale Modeler books on modeling? Thanks.

Hello! I am a 20yr old begginer (just started my first ever model... but I have some verlinden books . I find them very inspirational (awsome photos there) and rich in techniques, but for my college student budget I don't think they're worth it...

Greetings
Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
entire network: 2,169 Posts
KitMaker Network: 447 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 10:57 AM UTC
Hi

In answer to all your questions Yes.

I have Building Military Dioramas 1 & Military Vehicles 1 2 & 3.

I have found that the tips and processes included in them have definitely improved my modelling.

Are they better than FSM possibly.

Regards

Fordboy
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
entire network: 6,871 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 06:00 PM UTC
well i had many Verlkinden books , and also Shep Paines books and others, Verlindens books are not actually manuals or method books , they dont teach or show or say secrets . Theyre very good showcases , with good pictures and nice displays and all, but they teach ..as much as u can understand.

I f i was starting now i d buy 3 books of sheperd and maybe 1-2 selected of Verlinden .

Costas
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 08:51 PM UTC
I really am of two-minds about the Verlinden books, I have several (including a few of their excellent Walkaround series) However, I get the feeling that they are becoming a little dated and rather than issuing new books, Verlinden to have a tendency to recyle (as they do with their figs and accessories) and the result is quite frankly pretty tired and jaded - a real pity as Verlinden is available where other publications are not...

Personally, nowadays I tend to go for either the Osprey Modelling Series or particularly for the Letterman Productions series available from VLS another series (the first is now available) which promises great things, is the RossaGraph modelling series - at the end of this I will post some links to reviews on (this) site...Another series, well worth checking out, are the monographs produced by Euromodelismo (in English!) Available thru Squadron...Jim

Links: Letterman Productions

Rossagraph

Squadron
Jaster
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 579 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 28, 2004 - 06:19 AM UTC
Verlinden books...

I found their series of diorama books very inspirational! They came out about the time I first wanted to get back into modelling (never actually completed anything but started a few and acumulated a fair pile of kits). They were/are very good for getting the creative juices flowing. I agree with Gunnie that each modeller must create their own style,but these books provide some great ideas.

Their series of Walkaround style books are pretty good. Some good pics for the point in time they come from...too bad they haven't updated or come out with anything new in a while.

On balance I'd recommend them. As always this is just my humble opinion!
muca
Visit this Community
Pavia, Italy
entire network: 88 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 29, 2004 - 11:11 PM UTC
I bought them a lot of years ago...they were all pretty good and I'm still holding them with care!
Back in the late 80's-90's Verlinden was a master and books were really innovative.
Now I think good magazines such as:
AFV Modelling
MMIR
X-TREME Modelling
and
MODEL
could be a better choice!

ciao
Luca
steeldog51
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,114 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 30, 2004 - 05:00 AM UTC
Ihad a good few and still have some somwhere the best i found was "on plastic wings"
its go the most tips i think all subsquent new ones i bought all seem to be nothing more than overly expensive and thin v.p. catalogue ,they really plug thier own detail sets in them now , but i cut my modelling teeth on verlinden stuff ,so they were a real inspiration for me way back when! i'd say buy one and see if you like !
 _GOTOTOP