_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
PT Boat PE parts
Sammuel
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 200 Posts
KitMaker Network: 54 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 15, 2008 - 05:07 PM UTC
Some group members have pointed me in the right direction for PE parts for my PT-109 1:72 project I will start soon. I want to say thank you for the help. Any advise working with PE parts would be great. I have never worked with them before. Any tricks and tips would be great.

Sam
thegirl
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 6,743 Posts
KitMaker Network: 456 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 03:07 AM UTC
Hi Sam , as my friend Kelly would say PE is the devils work , but they really add to the over all effect . It will help to get some round rod in different sizes and bending tools ( if you don't have this a signal edge blade will do ) New # 11 blade for cutting and something very hard to cut on . It helps to place masking tape on the bottom side of the fret , helps keep the parts from flying into no mans land . It also helps when rolling anything round to hold it under a candle flame to heat up the part when it cools it is easier to roll any type of super glue will work . Just take your time and have fun !
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 2,531 Posts
KitMaker Network: 290 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 03:32 AM UTC
Hello Sammuel, some photo-etched parts need to be bent. As Teri said, heating the part will make it easier to bend. Be careful, too much heat can melt a delicate part, as I found out. There are several bending tools, like the Etch-Mate, available. Two single-edge razor blades will work quite well, if you don't want to invest in a special tool right away. There is usually a bend line on the part where it is to be folded. Place one blade on top of the part at the bend and slide the other blade under the part up to the bend, and using it as a lever, just lift up on the blade, as far as you need, to make the correct angle for your bend. Al
 _GOTOTOP