_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Photoetch- Early or late in the process
GhengisWong
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 74 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 02, 2003 - 08:27 AM UTC
Hi All,

I've just started applying PE to my model of the LST Shimokita and wow it really makes a difference.I'm looking forward to doing this on more models, but am wondering if I am doing it the best way.

My question is:

At what stage do people think it is best to start applying PE?

I've started at the point that I have my main pieces put together and painted, but not yet assembled. I pre-paint the PE and then touch up the exposed metal after it is put on. However, this has resulted in a slight difference between the PE parts and the previously airbrushed parts. So do I risk bending and breaking putting it on earlier, but then getting the benefit of airbrushing it along with the piece it is attached to, or do I wait and try and do a better job with the touch up painting.

On a sidenote: Anything I can do differently to make my brush painted strokes blend in more on a piece that has been airbrushed when doing touch-up work?

Thanks guys. Always look forward to hearing other people's wisdom.

Cheers,
Jason
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 02, 2003 - 08:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

At what stage do people think it is best to start applying PE?

Personally, I add PE, scratchbuilt or any aftermarket part at the appropriate time during the construction phase. I just have a little more pre-planning before I get started, and have to be a little more careful when bringing subassemblies together, that's all.

Also, a golden nugget of wisdom I got in my modeling youth still serves me today: if you're going to brushpaint a model - brushpaint every thing. If you're going to airbrush a model - airbrush every thing. Mixing the two often leads to uneven finishes. Unless intended, it doesn't always come out looking right in the end.

Gunnie
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 02, 2003 - 08:37 AM UTC
I have not done much PE, so wait for others too.

I do PE guide my subassembly build. I build based on grouping of PE. Then I assemble the whole thing and paint it all together. Yea - you have to be careful not to knock off the PE during the build but the finishing process is easier.

As far as brush painting, try thining the paint a bit more than normal and putting on an extra coat. The thin paint wont hold the brush stokes as well.
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 02, 2003 - 09:17 AM UTC
Like gunnie pointed out there's not an absolutely right moment to put PE or scratchbuilt or after market parts on a model. It depends on what you have to do. If you have to put a PE support to hold a shovel you should put it on before the shovel itself. A suggestion I can give is to look carefully at the instructions of both model/pe so you can figure out the right steps and the right times for your project...
Ciao
 _GOTOTOP