_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Just Completed My First Model after 5 yrs
Sammuel
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 200 Posts
KitMaker Network: 54 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 06:58 AM UTC
Group Members:

Well I have done some talking and asking for advice and you guys and gals have been great. This is my first model after 5 yrs and it feels good to work with my hands. I must say......I'm not good and I'm sure there are many younger group members who I know will show me a thing or two. I'm 47, retired U.S. Navy and work way to much to have an OK life. My wife said I needed a real hobby to relax besides workingout, hiking and reading. I need to work my mind and spend plenty of time reading. I'm by no way are great modler, but would like to be. I must say I did find it relaxing and kept my mind going. Well as you will see......my painting is not good at all. It was all done by hand. I don't have an airbrush but someday hope to get one. I don't know how to use it, but I'm sure my CAN DO, spirit will find out.
It took a bit of time to get my hands steady and starting feeling a bit more confident near the end of the build. I have a small workbench that my wife helped me put together and should be fine for future model projects. I hope someday to be as good as some in this group and maybe even enter a contest. For now I will build to put them in my bookcase next to my history books.
Give it to me upfront, what you think. I'm a firm believer of constructive feedback, good or bad. My Navy life was based on that.
The model is a 1/48 of a WW1 Albatross DIII.

Thank you.
Sam (Old Retired Navy Guy)
thegirl
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 6,743 Posts
KitMaker Network: 456 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 07:32 AM UTC
WOW a Albatros D.III for your first build after five years ! Would love to see some pic's if you have any ? Nice to see another String bagger on the site . Best way to learn is ask questions for a better understanding of how others do things . Before I join this site my skills where okay , I did the brush painting as well before I got an airbrush . In that Year I have learned many new tips and methods helping me improving my skills not to mention the great aid from other members and site staff when ever I have a question or need help with ref's . Made some friends a long the way as well .

If you are happy with the results you have with the end project , that;s all that matters in the end . So welcome to site , enjoy and don't be shy !
Sammuel
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 08:53 AM UTC
I added photos to the post. Should come up on top were it says photos. Let me know and thank you for your advice
KoSprueOne
Visit this Community
Myanmar
entire network: 4,011 Posts
KitMaker Network: 879 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 09:02 AM UTC
I'm not an airplane builder but it looks like a clean build in these photos.
Your paint will improve after a few more projects.
Welcome back to the hobby!

Sammuel
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 09:40 AM UTC
Thank you for the comments. I still don't know how to rig WW1 aircraft. I will read up on it.

Sam
thegirl
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 10:52 AM UTC
Not bad at all Sam , better then what my first one turned out . I like it !
Sammuel
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 11:31 AM UTC
Thank you. I'm trying to find some info on rigging. My next one I would like to try it. Any advice?

Sam
thegirl
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 02:00 PM UTC
The rigging is rather easy to do and there is mant methods on which you can do . Since you are just getting back into the hobby and never have done this before . I would start with this method until you get the hang of it . Drill a small hole under the top wing right next to the the holes where the struts go but don't drill all the way through . Do the same on the lower wing drill all the holes through . You can use clear thread for the rigging which works the best . Won't sage over time like streght sprure does . You can even use smoke invisible thread as well . On the top wing dip one end of the thread in super glue ( gel type ) and place in hole let try , then pass the other end through the hole in the lower wing pull tight but not to tight and place a small drop of super glue . Just repeat with the other holes . once the glue is dry on the lower wing trim off excess fill hole and lightly sand .

This is it in a nut shell play with it for a while and see how you do . If it's questions on WW1 modeling It would be easier if you post your questions under early aviaiton the thread . Lots of WW1 modelers there .
Sammuel
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 04:09 PM UTC
Thank you and I'm pretty sure my next one will be another WW1 model, so I will try it.

Thank you so much.

Sam
 _GOTOTOP