History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
Kursk Questions
chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 1,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 606 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 02, 2003 - 03:14 AM UTC
Did the Germans introduce the Panther tank then or before the historical battle?

What happened to the civillians during the famous battle? Did they move out, or stay there.

Thanks!

~Chip :-)
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 02, 2003 - 03:36 AM UTC
Chip, I am not sure about the Panther but I think most of the civilians were relocated out of the salient. They did, however, dig miles of anti tank ditches before they left. I'll check some references and let you know for sure...
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 2,127 Posts
KitMaker Network: 677 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 02, 2003 - 03:46 AM UTC
the panther tank was introduced just before the offensive started, early production D model panthers were used, dragon has a nice model it.
most of the vehicles suffered from mechanical problems as the engines and transmissions were unreliable and often caught fire.
many broke down on route to the front.
but the main gun had impressive penatrative performance, and could easily destroy T34s and KV1sv at up to 2000m
some panthers fell into russian hands during the battle but were later abandoned due to mechanical failures

joe
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 02, 2003 - 03:58 AM UTC
I found a fairly comprehensive Kursk battle website. It has a decent summary of the battle and an OOB for both sides. Can't vouch for the accuracy... http://www.geocities.com/armysappersforward/kursk.htm

chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 1,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 606 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 02, 2003 - 09:07 AM UTC
Thank you gentlemen! It was helpful.

~Chip