_GOTOBOTTOM
User Support
Having a problem with the site? Post it here.
Trouble viewing pictures
MaxSheridan
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 7 Posts
KitMaker Network: 6 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 03:07 PM UTC
I'm having trouble when I click on thumbnails all over the site. When I click them, I get the white square with the circle that looks like it's loading, then It just turns to a white square and won't go away.
I tried logging out then back in, but no dice. What can I do?
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 10,954 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,873 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 03:15 PM UTC
By thumbnails do you mean adverts?
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 03:27 PM UTC
I think you mean the Lightbox enabled photos in features, news stories, and reviews.

These use javascript and are an AJAX/Web 2.0 type component so you'll need javascript turned on in order to see photos.

Jim
MaxSheridan
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 04:50 PM UTC
I must have some kind of setting wrong. I just re-installed java off sun's website and made sure it's turned on in IE, but still no dice. If I right-click on the thumbnail and choose either "open link" or "open link in new tab" it shows me the pic. Doing that would get tedius really quick though. I had this problem a while ago, and all I had to do was sign out and sign back in. That didn't work this time.
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 04:54 PM UTC
Have you tried deleting your cookies? Or viewing the images using a different browser?
MaxSheridan
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 05:04 PM UTC
I just tried deleting my cookies, and I restarted my browser........still no dice. I'd rather not have to get another browser because I have been able to use this feature with IE in the past. I must have inadvertantly done something to my settings.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 05:55 PM UTC
Hi Mark,
Sorry it's 'javascript' not 'Java'. They are two different beasties. If your browser is not set to normal default settings or you have an Internet security application like Norton, it's possible that javascript is simply disabled. This was fine 5-10 years ago but with the advent of Web 2.0 technologies most sites will simply die and keel over with javascript support. Kind of like trying to view a flash based site without Flash Player.

Check your browser settings and restore them all to defaults if possible. Or try another browser. Which browser are you using?

Cheers,
Jim
MaxSheridan
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 05:43 AM UTC
Thanks for the help everyone! I tried everything possible I could think of, and then some. I disabled my firewall, and it turned out that was the culprit. So, I started playing around with settings after turning it back on......again, no dice. I just started changing settings, one at a time until I hit it. Turns out not only do you have to have javascripts enabled, but you can't be blocking pop-up/pop-under ads. Once I turned that off, everything worked perfect! I had a feeling all along it was something ultra-simple.
Thanks again!
 _GOTOTOP