_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
I need a new rotary tool - suggestions?
Andronicus
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 391 Posts
KitMaker Network: 60 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 08:52 AM UTC
Hi,

My rotary tool has died. It was a generic one from the Innovations catalogue (a now-discontinued gadget catalogue we used to get in the UK)- however being the first I owned I have become really used to its shape and weight--I always felt it fitted my hand well.

It was approx 20cm long and 3cm diameter - this meant I could fairly comfortably hold it like a pen - my usual method of holding it. The lead from it was long, lightweight and thin so it never interfered with my control of the tool.

My wife's has said she will get me a replacement for Christmas. With this in mind I've been looking at the Dremel offerings as they seem to be the last word on rotary tools. However their small-sized one looks quite a bit bulkier than my old one - and I'm not sure I'd be so suitable for small-scale modelling.

Their fancier one has a pen-like extension but I don't like the thick-look of the cable that runs from it---it looks like it'd be a bit cumbersome when you want to do some precision work.

Perhaps the Dremel tool is fine--I'm only going on looks at the moment. What I want is something lightweight and that offers precision control. I have a drill and router for heavier DIY stuff---this will be for modelling only. Are there any makes/models of rotary tool that people here would recommend?

Many thanks

A

PS have just found my old one on Amazon - you can see it here.
MCR
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 464 Posts
KitMaker Network: 54 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 11:22 AM UTC
Really you can not go wrong with a Dremel. Before I replaced it just a few months back I had used mine for nearly THIRTY years! (No kidding)
The rotory extension you linked to, far from being cumbersome, is nearly ideal for fine, close work in my experience.
I would suggest however that you avoid the versions with a built in speed control (for instance, I have the Model 275 without the control) and buy an external control. Generally, they allow you to reduce the speed to even lower RPM than the built in control which is better when working with soft plastics and wood.
There are smaller and less expensive tools out there but I've found the smaller they are the less long they'll last and the less versatile they are.

Mark

Andronicus
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 12:43 PM UTC
Hi Mark,

Thanks for your input - that's given me food for thought. I was rather wary of getting another cheapy one as a replacement and was veering more toward a strong brand name this time - in the hopes it'll last a good long time.

I'm heading into town tomorrow all being well (or rather me being well - am recovering from a small operation!) and will take a look at the Dremel range in the shops.

Cheers

A
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 3,123 Posts
KitMaker Network: 330 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 02:29 PM UTC
I am another satisfied Dremel customer. My plain, single speed Dremel has been doing sterling duty not only in the shop, but also around the house for almost 30 years. I cut steel with cutting wheels as well as trimming resin from small kit parts, all with the same machine. I've hooked it up to a dimmer switch to get an infinitely variable rig. People have said it will hurt the motor, but 30 years on, it's still kicking strong.

I use it on every model I build at least somewhere and usually use it a lot.

Paul
mauserman
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 1,183 Posts
KitMaker Network: 496 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 06:33 AM UTC
This is the one I got about a year ago. Great little tool. Dremel Tool

I got mine as a kit that also came with this: Dremel Driver I used it to put together my computer desk from Ikea that had about a bazillion screws. The charge didn't fade even after 2-3 hours of constant use.
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 3,608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 512 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 06:05 PM UTC
Yep, I'm in this club, too. I've had a single speed Dremel regulated by a dimmer switch for 30 years. I got the Dremel Stylus last Christmas and I love it. The Stylus is especially suited to modeling work.
casper
Visit this Community
Nelson, New Zealand
entire network: 395 Posts
KitMaker Network: 152 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 09:47 PM UTC
Hi ya,
Well I'll be the one to buck the Dremel trend and strongly recommend Proxxon
http://www.proxxon-world.com/
typical German quality engineering, and to be quite blunt they make the Dremel look like a Trabant vs an Aston Martin. Huge range of accessories etc etc.
They may cost a little more but IMHO worth every cent.
Mine is nearing it's 15th birthday and has been used in ways that would destory a lesser type (insert brand),
Anyways just another brand to make the playing field more level .
Sandy
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 628 Posts
KitMaker Network: 212 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 10:18 PM UTC
Hi look under the tools section on this site and click on the Maplins Modellers Special treat you will find all you need including accessories cheers ian
Andronicus
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 10:35 PM UTC
Thanks for the tips guys---In the end my wife ordered the Dremel 300 with the option of getting the Dremel Lite add-on for my birthday in a few months if I felt it was a little too big for really intricate stuff. The stylus does look good on reflection but I think the combination of the 300 and the smaller attachment should make for a useful addition to my tool kit.

Cheers

A

vanize
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,954 Posts
KitMaker Network: 121 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 10:44 PM UTC
Good choice. I'm confident you'll be pleased with it.

You are also likely to start finding all sorts of non-hobby household uses for it!
Andronicus
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 15, 2008 - 12:14 AM UTC
Thanks Vanize!
pagodaphile
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 62 Posts
KitMaker Network: 14 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 05:06 PM UTC
When you get your new Dremel, you might find that the right angle attachment helps with doing some of the more precise tasks.
 _GOTOTOP