_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Painting by Brush.
Sammuel
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 200 Posts
KitMaker Network: 54 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 06:12 AM UTC
Just starting to get back into it hot and heavy. I'm a build out of the box type of guy for now but will start trying to advance my skills with each new project. I don't have an air brush and have no idea as of yet how to use one. Hope my wife puts one under the tree for me this year.

My issue is with brush painting. My skills are weak and I'm getting pretty down on my work. I'm working on a 1/48 scale Albatross DIII. The build part is going OK. Getting my building skills back up. The painting part.........well, I'm doing it all with brush's and it is not easy for me. Any tips on how I could improve with my painting will be of great help.

Thank You

Sam (Old Retired Navy Guy)
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 2,531 Posts
KitMaker Network: 290 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 07:32 AM UTC
Hello Sammuel, painting with a brush can be difficult for several reasons. If you paint enamels over enamels , the second coat can attack the first coat. You can use dis-similar paints for each coat, Enamel over Acrylic, or vice versa. One will not interact with the other. Also paints have been re-formulated because of lead content which makes it harder to brush on some paints, and get a good coat. I have gotten better results applying Acrylics with a brush than Enamels. Some of the lighter colors, such as white or yellow are almost impossible to brush on with good results. I usually resort to spray cans for those colors. You can get good results with spray cans, but you have to be careful because they put out a large amount of paint, compared to an air-brush. It is harder to get in tight places with a spray can, so you might have spray some parts before assembly. I use brushes with short, wide, squared off bristles, they look like miniatures of the brushes you would use to paint a wall. I get better results with them than with the regular type of artist brushes. Hope I helped a little. Al
 _GOTOTOP