_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Looking for Long Project
Specter1075
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 55 Posts
KitMaker Network: 12 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 11:43 AM UTC
Hey all.

Ive been on the fringes of this hobby for a long time and I havnt built much to speak of in years. That was a consequence of having little time, but I think Im going to have more time to kill over the next 6 months to a year so I would like to build something.

Typically I build aircraft. I used to have an affinity for large aircraft, be they 1/32 fighters or 1/72 heavies (B-52, B-1 etc.) But right now I'm just looking for something very involved and something really complex. I know I am out of practice but what is, in your opinion, some of the most complicated kits going right now, be they aircraft, armor or ships? My objective is something that will take a lot of effort and a lot of time to complete. Any suggestions?

I appreciate your time!

Thanks!
RSingleton
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
entire network: 286 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 01:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey all.

Ive been on the fringes of this hobby for a long time and I havnt built much to speak of in years. That was a consequence of having little time, but I think Im going to have more time to kill over the next 6 months to a year so I would like to build something.

Typically I build aircraft. I used to have an affinity for large aircraft, be they 1/32 fighters or 1/72 heavies (B-52, B-1 etc.) But right now I'm just looking for something very involved and something really complex. I know I am out of practice but what is, in your opinion, some of the most complicated kits going right now, be they aircraft, armor or ships? My objective is something that will take a lot of effort and a lot of time to complete. Any suggestions?

I appreciate your time!

Thanks!

If money is not an issue, (and have enough space and sanity for that matter...) you can go for any of the Trumpeter Karls. You can follow my in progress of the kit here

[url=http://armorama.com/forums/129040&page=1[/url]

I'd say this will take you a while. I've been building this thing slowly but steadily since Nov. 24. and I'm still not done!

This would my best guess. Would take a really long time if you put a munitions carrier with it and a really long time if you make a reloading diorama and even a lot longer...
Anyway that's my guess and I'm suprised nobody else has said anything.

Richard
"Building is easy. Painting is hard. Weathering is harder. Not going crazy doing the above is hardest."
wonktnodi
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
entire network: 190 Posts
KitMaker Network: 43 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 05:43 PM UTC
You can try the Eduard Bf-110 Royal class kit, there's lots of stuff in there including a real nice 1/4 scale model of the control panel from a Bf-110C. If you can find it the Fw-190 Royal Class kit, I’m sure it would keep you busy. I have both but I haven't started either one but from just looking the Fw-190 kits look to be about the most difficult. You should be able to find the Fw-190 Royal Class kit on e-bay. Hope this helps.
thegirl
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 6,743 Posts
KitMaker Network: 456 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 02:26 AM UTC
If you are into WW1 aircraft , give them a try . Eduards Airco Dh-2 will keep you busy with all the rigging . Or Copper State Models . Can always try a vac kit , lots to build from srcatch on these ones if you are into that short of thing .

The Royal Class kits will keep you busy for a very long time .
jaypee
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,699 Posts
KitMaker Network: 114 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 04:05 AM UTC
take a look at chukw's helldiver build. Now there is a lot of detail built in. And a lot of it scratchbuilt so its cheap.
Just be sure to keep us all up to date with weekly posts
Specter1075
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 02:24 PM UTC
Thanks for the replies, guys! You have definitely given me a lot to think about. Im intrigued by the suggestions so far, and Ive begun looking at each of them. I probably wont be making any decisions until I get some time over the holidays, so I have some time to look carefully. If anyone has any other suggestions, I hope they will share them. I really appreciate the feedback you all have given me so far! Thanks again!
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 3,123 Posts
KitMaker Network: 330 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 02:33 PM UTC
Why not build a resin or vacuform kit with a scratchbuilt full interior? That won't be quick, let me tell you! Be at it for months. I know I usually am...

Paul
mat
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
entire network: 894 Posts
KitMaker Network: 127 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 12:17 AM UTC
try any 1/350 WWI/WWII battleship with PE set

one kit wil last for months, when you're done with the PE, you can do the rigging
CReading
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,726 Posts
KitMaker Network: 558 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 03:35 AM UTC
Long term=build a diorama. Multiple kits, figures, structures, groundwork, intense planning

C.
Specter1075
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 09:58 AM UTC
Thanks again for the replies!

Ive been mulling over all the suggestions. One question that pops up into my head is about the vacuform kits. I am not overly familiar with them, what are some of the manufacturers I should look for? Do they offer something over conventional model kits besides the extra work?

The idea of doing some scratchbuilding has occurred to me before, but unfortunately, I think my various skills are not sufficient to attempt much at this point. I have had a few ideas, but I dont think I'll attempt them until Im able to dive back into this hobby more completely. For now, I might only have a few months before things get really busy for me again.

Anyways, I really appreciate all the responses. I look forward to starting a new project, regardless of what I end up choosing!

Thanks!
 _GOTOTOP