_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
How to spend a spare day off.
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,391 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,600 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 10:58 AM UTC
As those of you who occassionally follow my ramblings know, I spend quite a bit of time at my LHS, and I try to support them as much as I can. In the past I have shared a table with them at a local show, I advice the owner on what models and paint to stock, and today he hosted a 'beginners class' for kids, at his shop. Six participants joined, paying a small fee which included an Airfix Spitfire kit, some paint, a bottle of glue and a paint brush to work with and take home, and some more paint, cutters etc provided to build and paint for a few hours in the shop.
I showed the kids (ages from about 10 to 13ish), and two attendant fathers.. , the basics of building and painting a simple kit, cleaning up the parts etc. It was a great success, and although most of the kids had build a kit before, it was obvious that they enjoyed somebody showing them those little tricks and tips that we all take for granted after so many years. If only one could bottle patience.... .
If you are lucky enough to still have a local hobby shop, why not ask the owner if he wants to do something similar. Everybody is a winner; the kids love it, the parents love it (either by participating, or by knowing that the kids are save for a few hours), the shop makes some money, and gets some future customers interested. And it may just help to keep your LHS in business too...

CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 10,954 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,873 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 03:13 PM UTC
Who had more fun, You or the kids? and how many of these did you need before, during, and after.
mat
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
entire network: 894 Posts
KitMaker Network: 127 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 08:56 PM UTC
I always build with friends at my LHS every week.

Sometimes it's fun, when people are really interested about what you are doing and if you can help them and show them that there is more to modelling than assembling a "toy"

Sometimes it's less fun, when you are trying to assemble a 4 pieces PE clamp and someone comes standing next to you and says "soooo, that's a tank, right?" When I was 10 years old I remember I also built this and that.....(then you get to hear the story of his whole life and the PE parts somehow disappear in the carpet)

but I still come back there every week, so it's not that bad
 _GOTOTOP