_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Compressor question
james84
Visit this Community
Roma, Italy
entire network: 1,368 Posts
KitMaker Network: 36 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 03:55 AM UTC
Hello!
I would like to stor my compressor until the climate changes... well, it's cold and I have no way to use it.
I have a compressor (Werther TC-108) with a moisture filter, and some drops of water are visible inside the tank (in the upper part). How can I drain the water? I tried to remove the tank but it's thouroughly attached to the filter and I'm afraid that I would break it if I only forced it a bit more.
That can I do?
There is also a valve at the bottom of the tank: how does it work?
Thanks for any answer!
HunterCottage
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 1,717 Posts
KitMaker Network: 590 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 01:09 PM UTC
I believe it is common to all compressors, at least it has been the case for the ones I have had, that you have to empty the tank between uses. Otherwise water will accumulate and possibly damage the inside of the tank.

Just open the valve and the excess air will escape, also helping the water leave the tank. I live in a very cold area, I have not had any bad experiences using my compressor when it is cold, just keep it from freezing...

Hope this helps...
treadhead1952
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
entire network: 552 Posts
KitMaker Network: 46 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 05:11 PM UTC
Yeppers, let the tank fill up with air first and open the vlave at the bottom. The air and accumulated water will come right on out. Even though it may be cold, it is still a good idea to fire it up once a month or so and do that just to aid in keeping any sort of rust from forming on the inside. The water trap filter is just to keep the stuff from working its way into the line and onto your work as you spray paint it.
Phil_H
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
entire network: 546 Posts
KitMaker Network: 78 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 05:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello!
I would like to stor my compressor until the climate changes... well, it's cold and I have no way to use it.
I have a compressor (Werther TC-108) with a moisture filter, and some drops of water are visible inside the tank (in the upper part). How can I drain the water? I tried to remove the tank but it's thouroughly attached to the filter and I'm afraid that I would break it if I only forced it a bit more.
That can I do?
There is also a valve at the bottom of the tank: how does it work?
Thanks for any answer!

To drain accumulated water from the moisture trap, (as opposed to the compressor tank itself), just press up on the pin at the bottom of the aforementioned valve. Note that if the system is pressurised when you do this, you're going to spray it all over yourself (You can wad up a rag around the valve and press the pin if necessary)..

If there is condensation on the inside of the moisture trap but no water accumulated at the bottom of the trap, there's no real need to drain it.
james84
Visit this Community
Roma, Italy
entire network: 1,368 Posts
KitMaker Network: 36 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 06:49 PM UTC
Thanks guys!
 _GOTOTOP