_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Scratch Built stuff...how and what do i buy?
Fuel21
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 20 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 31, 2003 - 06:28 PM UTC
OK i would like to know what product should i buy to make scratch built stuff. Like walls and other things in that area. I hear people say plaster buy what type? And what do i use to make the molds and stuff. IM sure this has been answered before so sorry for the repeated questions. Thanks everyone
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 31, 2003 - 08:10 PM UTC
To start I'll go for plaster of Paris. It does not dry rock hard and is easily workable after dired up properly. Being so easily workable you can use to start whatever you find that allows you to pour the right amount of plaster obtaining the size anmd the the thickness you need as a mould (plastic dished, boxes, food packaging, etc.). Once you're done (and when the plaster is throughly dried) you can start scribing the pattern of the bricks or the holes for windows and so on with any metal thing you have available (also there you've got plenty of choices from a nail to a proper scribing tool for example). Once you're happy with the shape of the original you can now clone it, creating a mold with latex or silycon rubber and then just pouring the plaster in it....
Ciao
brandydoguk
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,495 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 31, 2003 - 08:10 PM UTC
Hi fuel21, there are many different ways to build walls. I make the shell of the building or wall, I use the styrene packaging that meat comes in. Other people use things like foamboard. When it is built I coat it in wall filler, the type you mix with water. I mix it fairly thin and apply a thin layer, let it set and apply another. When dry it can be sanded flat and scribed with brickwork or chips caused by damage. Sometimes I mix some fine sand into the second coat of filler to give it some texture. Then I paint it, usualy with cheap acrylics from an art store, the base coat mixed with a bit of dilute white glue. Then fix in things like doors and window frames and weather it. If you want to cast the walls from molds there are many posts on here giving advice, just click on "buildings & ruins".
 _GOTOTOP