_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Health and Safety
Have a question about what is safe or an experience that might warn others?
health effects of modeling and conseption
aussiemodeler
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 266 Posts
KitMaker Network: 20 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 07:28 AM UTC
hey all. Just wondering if anyone knows of the effect's on conseiving a child. Is the chance of a disability higher due to the chemicals and fumes we use. As i have been one who models in a small aircon room with no real ventilation.

And also how safe or unsafe is it to use stupid glue to glue up cuts from my scalple blade. Cheers!
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 07:52 AM UTC
Do you relax when you model, and have a break from reality? Ease away all the stress of life?
My uneducated guess would be that things like stress would have a higher consequense on your ability to concieve, than the fumes of some glue and plastic.
Open a window to on the safe side .... but do pull the curtains when actually concieving
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 07:54 AM UTC
I know a lot of guys who've become fathers while being involved in the hobby and none of their kids have any disabilities.

A form of super glue has been used for battlefield emergency treatment, but I'd go with simple bandages for smaller wounds and professional emergency treatment for the real bad ones.
Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
entire network: 2,845 Posts
KitMaker Network: 424 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 09:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

A form of super glue has been used for battlefield emergency treatment, but I'd go with simple bandages for smaller wounds and professional emergency treatment for the real bad ones.

IIRC, cyanoacrylate was specifically developed for that purpose in the first place.

And as for the question posed in the starting post, I wouldn't worry about chemical exposure. Unless you live in California.
NebLWeffah
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 1,683 Posts
KitMaker Network: 284 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 09:42 AM UTC
I think the only effects might be the irresistible urge to name your kids Tammya or Itta-Larry....haha.

Seriously, some of the laquer based paints can't be sold in certain places because of possible cancer risks but that's the only thing I've heard of.

Bob
jezza
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
entire network: 33 Posts
KitMaker Network: 11 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 11:02 PM UTC
I have been using Squadron Green Putty for modifications of figures, and I was going to try it for zimmerit as well. That is until I read the fine print on the tube: " This product contains toluene which may cause birth defects in the developing foetus.... and other reproductive harm". So I have replaced it with Tamiya's Light Curing Putty.

Probably more relevant for women, but why risk it? Having good ventilation would be wise- I don't think wearing a mask would help either.
markm
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 590 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 03:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

IIRC, cyanoacrylate was specifically developed for that purpose in the first place.

And as for the question posed in the starting post, I wouldn't worry about chemical exposure. Unless you live in California.

Huh, what???
TOONCES
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 15 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 06:07 AM UTC
Jason,

Before my stroke infertility testing and treatment used to be my field of expertise. There is no way to test every modeling chemical for infertility effects except in lab animals. Based on what I know I would avoid any of the solvents such as laquer thinner and paint, xylene, toluene and others. We just don't have solid data on their effects on reproduction. You can access MSDA sheets on individual chemicals from the net. The best advice I can give you is check with your doctor or just avoid toxic solvents. If there are toxic effects in the male they can persist for over 70 days after exposure..so plan ahead. Wearing a respirator helps but some solvents are absorbed through the skin.

john burch
Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 06:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Huh, what???

Which one, CA or the California bit?

For the latter, it says so right in the back of the putty tube (coincidentally, happens to be a tube of Squadron's green):
"This product contains a chemical known to the state of California to cause birth defects and other reproductive harm"

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it, especially with good ventilation. The amounts of putty used are quite small in modeling and exposure times aren't exactly full working days (well, I don't know about the rest of you...).

And of the CA, yes, it was (and still is) used for closing incisions, stopping bleeding and other medical applications.
http://www.emedicine.com/ent/topic375.htm
markm
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 590 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 08:52 AM UTC
My part was for California
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 09:29 AM UTC
Everything causes cancer and birth defects in California.
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,391 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,600 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 10:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I understood that CA was 'accidentally' discovered, when an inventor was trying to develop a clear substance to make replacement glazing for periscope sights (for AFV's). Whilst the experiment proved the substance to be useless for glazing, it's instant adhesive properties were noted, and thus 'superglue' was born.

I remember reading this (no, not on wiki... ), but I can't find the link. If I come across it, I'll let you know.

CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 10,954 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,873 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 10:29 AM UTC
the only item I am sure causes issues when used regardless of how little time is spent using it is resin both cured, dust while sanding and protect your eyes, in its liquid form the vapours given off while curing will not do you any good. Take that from someone who worked in the fibreglass trade, and ended up ill through it.
zeus60
Visit this Community
entire network: 56 Posts
KitMaker Network: 43 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 08, 2008 - 01:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I know a lot of guys who've become fathers while being involved in the hobby

Simultaneously? I guess we know what their hobby is.
05Sultan
Visit this Community
entire network: 2,870 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,044 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 08, 2008 - 02:34 PM UTC
Wellllll,I did a lot more than glue,paint,and solvent and could not have asked f or a better son. Yes,all of us in the family are Cali born and raised. Resistance to the 'bad' things we get exposed to are largely up to each individual's make up.
Have a couple of cocktails with your queen and plunder away matey
Cheers!
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 02:16 AM UTC
My wife and I had our third child rather late in life. She was 38 and I was 40. She had to take multiple tests to insure the child did not have Downs Syndrome. Older parents have a greater chance of producing a Downs Syndrome child than younger parents. They considered women over the age of 35 as being of "advanced maternal age" (yeah, my wife didn't like being told this).

I was a frequent modeler at the time and had been for 30+ years. My wife has been next to me in the same room while I built models. All three of my kids are healthy.

I wouldn't let her handle any of the toxic items while she was pregnant though. She also was more susceptible to odors while pregnant. Fumes from glue and paints that did not bother her normally would make her have to leave the room when she was pregnant.
thegirl
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 6,743 Posts
KitMaker Network: 456 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 02:37 AM UTC
You don't have anything to worry about at all . With all the different products on the market now you have a lot of options . For here most of the hobby shops now no longer carry oil based paint and with acrylic you can use many different items now rather then having to use the thinner . I mostly use rubbing alcohol now and clean up with water .
Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 03:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Everything causes cancer and birth defects in California.

Indeed!
Before this day. I had some doubts if the word 'everything' was valid in this context. Now I have no doubts anymore.

Today the postman brought some of airbrush accessories that I ordered a couple of weeks ago.
There it was again:
""This product contains a chemical known to the state of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm"
And guess what product it was on... A guarded regulator for my Badger airbrush. A freakin' airbrush crown cap!
Now I guess I've seen it all.
seb43
Visit this Community
Paris, France
entire network: 2,315 Posts
KitMaker Network: 124 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 04:07 AM UTC
I am a father of a 25 months daughter the second one is on his way.
I am a researcher chemist for more then 10 years so using chemicals on a daily basis with quantity that you will never reach on your entire modelling life.

So don't be afraid you will never reach the DL using the chemicals for modeling well if you will start mass production maybe but for the rest, I do suppose that you are not modelling 20 hours a day right ???

Cheers

seb
 _GOTOTOP