General items for sale by poster.
How/Where to sell the old stash
Illini
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 345 Posts
KitMaker Network: 58 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 02:49 PM UTC
I, like many, have accumulated are collection of models I finally admit I'll never finish. That, and medical issues, lead me to need to sell a lot of what I have.

I have never done this before. Are there sites that are better than others for doing this? I'm also an ebay virgin at selling, bought, but never sold.

What about collecting payment, and shipping the goods. Are there ways to protect both parties? I've heard "escrow" sites are a scam.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

I'm also open to donating less expensive kits to youth groups, military, or others that could use them. I live in Southern CA if that helps.
nitrocomplex
Visit this Community
APO, United States
entire network: 349 Posts
KitMaker Network: 122 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 03:30 PM UTC
Well this site is a great place to start selling it's more simple then ebay and with out the hassle and potential of being ripped off. I have been buying and selling online for 8 years a few things i learned along the way are basics which can protect you first paypal is a great resource for sellers and buyers you set up an account and buyers can just use your email address to send you the payment makes it fast and easy plus you get to send receipts for both getting the money and the orders. Also paypal allows you to link your bank account to your paypal account so you can transfer your money right into your bank account.
Secondly postal money orders are great because you can use the postal money as payment to ship your kits out then get the difference back all in one shot. Ebay was great at one time for all sellers but this day the fees are to much for the small one time sellers so it's best to avoid them like a virus and there are other sites where you can sell your model kits. When you go to ship be advised over seas shipping can be costly so it might be best to stick with us and canada based sales but thats up to you. And the postal service offers a great service on their site to calculate postal rates based on size, weight and destination as these will also play apart in final shipping cost. I tend to use tracking for most of my packages offers security for both the seller and buyer as they can each see where the item is. And yes escrow service is the devils work
markm
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 590 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 04:53 PM UTC
What he said..........

Seriously, all very good advice.
nitrocomplex
Visit this Community
APO, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 08:12 PM UTC
The only things i can add is

DO NOT accept cash as payment as it can cause to many issues for both seller and buyer.
And do not accept personal checks agains to many issues can arise from them. Western union same goes as the saying goes K.I.S. "Keep It Simple"
jaypee
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,699 Posts
KitMaker Network: 114 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 08:31 PM UTC
Nitro writes

Quoted Text

Ebay was great at one time for all sellers but this day the fees are to much for the small one time sellers so it's best to avoid them like a virus and there are other sites where you can sell your model kits.

What are these "other sites"?
nitrocomplex
Visit this Community
APO, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 08:53 PM UTC
I meant some of the other model sites IE: missing lynx , track-link , sites like that not any other ebay type sites.
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 03:40 AM UTC
You could use paypal........ and just keep the money in there.... (thier fees equate to about 5% of the purchase IF you have the upgraded account type)
MTDriver
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 119 Posts
KitMaker Network: 66 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 05, 2008 - 06:10 PM UTC
Also don't accept e-cheques,someone paid me once with one and it took nearly 3 weeks to clear into my account with the result the buyer got very frustrated waiting for his kit to arrive.
Paypal can be good,but beware of withdrawing/transferring funds to your bank account,they make a charge under a certain amount,in the UK you incur the charge if the amount is below £50.00.PayPal is also not protected by banking laws,so if they go belly up,so do your funds and you will not get any compensation.Once a sale seesion has finished and I have PP payments in my PP account,I transfer them straight into my personal bank account,and this usually takes 7 days.
........Dave.
tankfixer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 283 Posts
KitMaker Network: 167 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 06:22 PM UTC
I don't care what anybody says here but E BAY is The best way to go. I guess I am the only person to never have had a problem. That being said I only use Pay Pal whether buying or selling. Somebody mentioned fees and bank transfers and such well you need to factor all of that into the price you are willing to pay or wanting out of the model. But hey that is my opinion and I guess live and learn. Good Luck on whatever you decide.
dispatcher
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 396 Posts
KitMaker Network: 70 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 04:14 AM UTC
My thoughts are this, pick out 25 or so kits and place them for sale here. The cost for doing that is nothing. List them with a firm price so you don't have to mess around. I have bought a few kits from folks here and sold some, never had a problem.
Joe
milvehfan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 2,116 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,015 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 24, 2008 - 06:35 AM UTC
Hi I have purchased, sold and traded many times on this site, in fact other than buying at two models shows this past year, I have fulfilled my modeling needs here on Armorama.
Postal Money Orders work for me. Keep On Modelin, milvehfan
 _GOTOTOP