_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: Filipino Modelers Phorum
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Paints
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 31, 2003 - 03:43 AM UTC
Aside from the usual Tamiya, Model Master, Academy and Mr. Color brands, anong mga paint pa ang ginagamit nyo at saan sila available dito sa Pinas? Any experience with that paint?
rysorne
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
entire network: 115 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 02, 2003 - 05:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Aside from the usual Tamiya, Model Master, Academy and Mr. Color brands, anong mga paint pa ang ginagamit nyo at saan sila available dito sa Pinas? Any experience with that paint?

Gunze-Sangyo & Humbrol available in JMN in Harrison & also in Makati Cinema Square. Gunze are acrylic & Humbrol mostly are enamel. Actually we have a limited stocks of paints in every model stores in Manila, but I preferred to use Model Master and its good in airbrushing and wide variety of paints. I think Testors & Model Masters are almost the same. Like for example Italeri are using Model Master & Hasegawa for Gunze-Sangyo. And you must know the FS numbers for the specific kind of paint and sometime its available in Humbrol but not in Model Master or any kind of paint
stressor
Visit this Community
Mindanao, Philippines
entire network: 44 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 02, 2003 - 09:11 PM UTC
buti pa kayo maraming choice sa paint ako dito s cagayan de oro tamiya lang, yun lang ang available dito at hindi pa complete ang kulay so I have to mix paints or modify the color scheme of my model
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 03, 2003 - 02:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

buti pa kayo maraming choice sa paint ako dito s cagayan de oro tamiya lang, yun lang ang available dito at hindi pa complete ang kulay so I have to mix paints or modify the color scheme of my model

Tamiya paints are good too. Buti naman may modeler din na hindi taga Maynila! Akala ko kasi sa Maynila lang tong hobby eh. Magkano yung mga kits dyan? Have you compared the prices here and there? Saan mas mura?
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 03, 2003 - 02:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Gunze-Sangyo & Humbrol available in JMN in Harrison & also in Makati Cinema Square. Gunze are acrylic & Humbrol mostly are enamel. Actually we have a limited stocks of paints in every model stores in Manila, but I preferred to use Model Master and its good in airbrushing and wide variety of paints. I think Testors & Model Masters are almost the same. Like for example Italeri are using Model Master & Hasegawa for Gunze-Sangyo. And you must know the FS numbers for the specific kind of paint and sometime its available in Humbrol but not in Model Master or any kind of paint

Uhhh, Model Master paints used in airbrushing is not good for me. Malagkit sya pagkatapos eh unlike Tamiya when airbrushed
LaTtEX
Visit this Community
entire network: 292 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 03, 2003 - 03:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Uhhh, Model Master paints used in airbrushing is not good for me. Malagkit sya pagkatapos eh unlike Tamiya when airbrushed

baka naman pure mo iniispray. Nathi-thin mo ba using isopropyl alcohol? O model master enamels yang tinutukoy mo?
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 03, 2003 - 11:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

baka naman pure mo iniispray. Nathi-thin mo ba using isopropyl alcohol? O model master enamels yang tinutukoy mo?

I'm talking about the enamel type
rysorne
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
entire network: 115 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 04, 2003 - 05:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Model Master was thinned already just add 20% of thinner and no need to buy expensive thinner. I'm using kerosene gas for enamel and lacquer thinner for acrylic nasa bote ng Gin siguro 5 pesos lang yun and also good for cleaning the airbrush & brush.
LaTtEX
Visit this Community
entire network: 292 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 04, 2003 - 08:20 PM UTC
mag-ingat sa lacquer thinner. nakakasira ng ibang plastic
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 05, 2003 - 12:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Yes that's true! Saka wag nyo rin ibababad yung model sa paint! I REALLY have a bad experience about it
jomz
Visit this Community
entire network: 543 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 09, 2003 - 11:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

nako, may istroya ako tungkol sa karanasan ko sa "thinner".

one day i was painting this mercedes rally car, old model so i had the guts to play around with it -- t'was going to be the first model i'd be making in a long while. so i went on spraying and spraying, not paying attention to the "thickness"/"liquidity" of the paint. Until I realized that a small bubble formed on top of the roof!

so i go downstairs, and find a big can of thinner, first i try to dab a small amount of thinner on the spot, but to no avail, the paint just seems to smudge -- so I do the unthinkable! I put the whole model in a basin of thinner! nako! i brought it out, puting puti, but I noticed, malambot na yung plastic! tapos slowly, the roof caved in!

so that was the end of my merc kit, good thing it was an old kit, i'm planning to put it in a diorama i'm thinking of doing.
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,612 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,129 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 09, 2003 - 11:47 PM UTC
Re:Lacquer thinner, conventional, hardware type lacquer thinner is strong and can eat the plastic if used in excess. Use sparingly. If used to thin paint, always apply a first "dust" coat or a primer on the kit. After that has dried, you can paint closer - but still be careful not to over do it. If removing paint from the kit, use a rag, wet it with common lacquer thinner, then rub the rag on the offending paint on the kit, rather than applying lacquer directly on the paint job. However, Gunze makes a "weak" lacquer called Mr. Color Thinner and does not damage the plastic as far as my experience with it is concerned. I have had several kits "swimming" in it and it didn't scratch the plastic.
 _GOTOTOP