opinions on mini tap and die?
david_nielsen
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 13 Posts
KitMaker Network: 7 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 03:42 PM UTC
Hi,

I've been looking for a mini tap and die set and the most promising so far is the TAP-135-00 set. It includes matching taps and dies for sizes 0.7mm to 2.0mm. One vendor selling it is micro-tools but there are others.

https://www.micro-tools.com/store/item_detail.aspx?ItemCode=TAP-135-00

Does anyone have any experience with this set? Does is work reasonably well on brass? Does it hold up well or become too dull to use after one or two uses?
Are there other sets or individual taps and dies that are better (without costing a fortune)?

I've also seen a 0.3mm and 0.5mm taps from scalehardware.com but without matching die's I kind of wonder - what's the point? Does anyone have experience with these?

Thanks,
David
Sandy
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 628 Posts
KitMaker Network: 212 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 09:21 PM UTC
Hi , not used this set , but based on 37 years in heavy industry , Shipyards and power Industry , all tap and Die sets are made from Hardened steel so they will never dull on Brass or copper in your life time , and on most steel as well . The only steel that will dull them is Chrome steel and even then it would take several thousands of operations to see the effect . best of luck cheers ian
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 12:14 AM UTC
the smaller sizes will pretty much break before wear out. I've used a 2-56 tap on some things before and you do need to be really gentle with the smaller sizes.
david_nielsen
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 13 Posts
KitMaker Network: 7 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 04:45 AM UTC
Thanks for the replies guys . It helps a lot.

David
HunterCottage
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 1,717 Posts
KitMaker Network: 590 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 20, 2008 - 09:31 AM UTC
Thanks Sandy for your input!!! I've been wondering about the "durability" of taps and dies...

Isn't there a very real risk when using a small die that you will just end up twisting the material?? BTW does anyone know of a place that might have screws in the size span of of David's post??
 _GOTOTOP