Trouble with decals?
Solvaset and acrylic paint problems
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 3,172 Posts
KitMaker Network: 612 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2003 - 07:53 AM UTC
Last night I sprayed on some acrylic gloss coat over my Stuart M3A3 This morning I went to put the decals on with some solvaset decal setting solution The problem started with one of the decals went bad on me
No problem I thought Later on I went to take the decals off to put different ones on,and that's when the problems started When I started taking them off the gloss overcoat and the paint lifted off I went and sanded the affected areas of the paint and reprimered the kit
What else besides solvaset can I use for decals over acrylic paint
Oberst
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 851 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2003 - 09:22 AM UTC
So I guess what you are saying is that Solvaset is too good? :-)
You really have to be sure of the position of the decal before you apply Solvaset.
Do you use a gloss coat before applying the decals?
Take care Chad,

Andrew

generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2003 - 09:28 AM UTC
Andrew I did shoot a coat of gloss overcoat on it The decal problem was as I was putting it on it went crazy on me I put it on and tried to straighten it out I gave up at that point I came back a little while later and went to remove that decal When I did that the gloss overcoat and the paint came up with the decal I'm just curious as to why it would do that
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2003 - 10:30 AM UTC
GZ - I believe the Solvaset attacked the acrylic gloss coat you used. I don't use it much anymore, but when I did, I applied a lacquer gloss coat to protect my acrylic finishes when using Solvaset.

Gunnie
didiumus
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 564 Posts
KitMaker Network: 138 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2003 - 11:50 AM UTC
Solvaset is very strong. It will attack acrylic paint, especially fresh paint that wasn't completely dry.

You can use other, milder decal solvents such as Micro-Sol and Micro-Set. Also, I would recommend either using a laquer based clear coat with Solvaset or allowing the acrylic clear to dry for several days.

Hope this helps.

Scott
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2003 - 12:29 PM UTC
Thanks for the help I'll try that micro sol micro set I don't like to use laquer based over coats They stink too much
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 3,960 Posts
KitMaker Network: 331 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 31, 2003 - 05:37 AM UTC
I really think that the problem was that your gloss coat hadn't dried completly...I usually try and leave it a couple of days at least....but I must admit that solvaset is THE strongest setting solution and I guess it could happen even after a long drying time .
Thank god for dry transfers!!

Rick
 _GOTOTOP