_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Scratch in clear plastic...help?
GhengisWong
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 74 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2003 - 03:37 AM UTC
Hi.

Does anyone know how to get rid of small scratches on clear plastic and still keep the plastic clear? The finest sandpaper (2000) I have clouds the plastic.

I've had this a couple of times where on a clear piece (cockpit, see through deck, etc) there is a small scratch from being tossed around in the box or from my own clumsiness and I would love to find a way to remove them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Jason
sphyrna
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 379 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2003 - 03:41 AM UTC
Check with Squadron.com they have this product that works pretty well -
Manufacturer: Squadron Products from USA
Subject: Sanding Stick (Tri-Grit)
Stock No: SQ30505
Description: Sanding Stick. Tri-Grit: fine, extra fine and very fine. This polisher is ideal for removing scratches from canopies and preparing plastic for a bare metal paint finish.
Your Price: $2.46

I've used it on a A-37 canopy and it worked nicely- it has 3 grits, one to remove the scratch, a finer one to buff the plastic, and an even finer grit to polish the canopy to a shine. After dipping in Future- couldn't tell the difference.

Peter
dioman
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 485 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2003 - 03:58 AM UTC
Use you finest grade of sand paper you have to get the scratch out.....then with a soft cloth use some toothpaste and just rub it while you're watching TV.....it will polish it up to new again....I did this on a car windshield a guy's kid had spilled tube glue on and they were going to throw away......made it like new again...they were amazed.
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2003 - 04:26 AM UTC
Novus Plastic polish / Scratch remover works great on fine scratches.
Tarheel
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 6 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2003 - 04:42 AM UTC
Im with Dioman on this one, use toothpaste to buff out the scratch. Ther is a good articel over at aircraft resouce center. article . Hope this helps.

Tarheel
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2003 - 04:45 AM UTC
You can also add a coat of Future Floor wax on top of all of it and it will SHINE.
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2003 - 05:00 AM UTC
Another idea can be if you pass in front of a jewelry with your piece of plastic in a pocket, just get in and ask them if they can polish it. They've got the equipment with which they polish the watches glasses (the plastic ones). Usually they do it for free too...
Otherwise you can try to dip it in Future floor wax and see what happens. Once dry if you are not happy with the result you can dip it in a solution of water and 10-15% ammonia and the Future will disappear...
Ciao
GhengisWong
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 74 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2003 - 05:20 AM UTC
Wow. Thanks for all of the great solutions and the fast responses. Really appreciate the help.

Now if I could only get out of work to go home and try them...

Have a great weekend everyone and thanks again.
Jason
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2003 - 05:38 AM UTC
You may to to check out the finger nail polish section of your local superstore or drugstore. They have padded emery boards that some people actually use to work on their fingernails. The ones that I bought have four different grits, two on each side. Pretty cheap and really nice for polishing plastic. And, as Slodder said, dip that guy in Future when you are finished... Just another alternative to all the good advice given above...
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2003 - 05:52 AM UTC
In your hobby store look in the GASP! car section. There are polishing kits there. One is a set of sponge backed polishing paper that go up to 16000 grit. Use the successive grits and you'll get a perfect finish. Dip the piece in Future at the end.
TwistedFate
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 805 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2003 - 06:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

In your hobby store look in the GASP! car section. There are polishing kits there. One is a set of sponge backed polishing paper that go up to 16000 grit. Use the successive grits and you'll get a perfect finish. Dip the piece in Future at the end.

that's my favorite section

Al's right though, I have the polishing pads he's talking about and it's saved several canopies and windshields for me.. Plus it's a lot of fun watching your modeling friends pass out when you start attacking clear parts with sanding pads.
BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,546 Posts
KitMaker Network: 494 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2003 - 07:56 AM UTC
I have polished clear plastic with a dremel mini-mite too good effect then used floor polish (future)
TempExp
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 148 Posts
KitMaker Network: 106 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2003 - 09:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You may to to check out the finger nail polish section of your local superstore or drugstore. They have padded emery boards that some people actually use to work on their fingernails. The ones that I bought have four different grits, two on each side. Pretty cheap and really nice for polishing plastic. And, as Slodder said, dip that guy in Future when you are finished... Just another alternative to all the good advice given above...

I agree with keenan on this one. I had an F-14 canopy that was scratched and used a nail polishing board on it... worked great. Dipped it in Future a few times and it looks like new. The nail boards are also great to use on other parts of kits. I use them to polish up areas I've filled and they do a great job of removing the fine sanding scratches and putty marks from filled areas.

Good luck with whatever you attempt.
steve203
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 579 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2003 - 12:19 PM UTC
Toothpaste should do the trick, just take your time.
chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 1,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 606 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 02, 2003 - 03:03 AM UTC
I use a little modeling wax. It seems to work. Its like carnuba wax that stinks.

~Chip
Prowler
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 174 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 02, 2003 - 07:16 PM UTC
Ghenghis, try this link http://members.tripod.com/scottsmodels/tips.htm#Touching up and polishing canopieshttp , good luck.
 _GOTOTOP