_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Need a workbench!
salfordsniper
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 22 Posts
KitMaker Network: 8 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 05:53 AM UTC
I need a workbench or desk to build my models on, now my mother says the dining room table is for eating on and my GF says dont even think about the bedroom! i have been exiled to the loft (my gaming room) i need something small/medium in size but it has to match the rest ov the furniture up there (the GF says dont be getting something scruffy or black) its all beech colour. i was looking at this a

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/6211776/c_1/1|category_root|Home+and+furniture|10197552/c_2/2|cat_10197552|Office+furniture|10197838/c_3/3|cat_10197838|Office+desks|10197845.htm

does anyone have any suggestions
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 2,058 Posts
KitMaker Network: 787 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 07:06 AM UTC

I gotta say, it sounds like you are being kicked around by the women in your life, but, that's neither here nor there.

What I would do, is shop around resale shops. Until you have a dedicated space for your "nook", keep it pretty simple. Don't spend a ton of money on something new when it's going to be abused over time.
One idea is find a pair of nightstands with drawers and throw a piece of melamine across them. Heck, my workbench is some old bathroom cabinets with a homemade top. It's an ongoing, lifelong process.
Heck, when I first moved in, it was a folding conference table and some boxes.

Then I came across the cabinets and built a top to span them

today, it's a bit more cluttered, but, like I said, it's a process.

It's all about comfort and utilization. I would keep it simple for now, because, chances are you will move to your own flat, then eventually buy a house and have a permanant, dedicated workspace.

So, like I said. A couple of nightstands with a board across them. An old desk from a resale shop, or even a simple conference table, like I started out with. Hell, a card table works and is the epitomy of inexpensive. It's what I used from age 10 to 15.

So, I hope I've helped. For now, it sounds like you have to comprimise with some other people in the home, so, maybe get some imput from them. They have a different perspective, but, it's they that are the catalyst, it seems.

Cuhail
outback
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 87 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 01:06 PM UTC
That chair must be REALLY comfortable.

Cheers
Shane
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 2,058 Posts
KitMaker Network: 787 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 01:30 PM UTC

It used to be. Obviously, I've had it for a while! I'm totally due-un fer a new-un! ! It was a resale shop buy. I have two of 'em, both just as worn. Both just as ugly.

Cuhail
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 01:35 PM UTC
What about something like this: http://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/10103677

It comes in birch vinneer, and it has the pull-out panel for extra work surface

AND, it'll be a trip to Ikea which, if your women are anything like mine, will score you major brownie points
 _GOTOTOP