_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Can't win -- bad luck with kits
TempExp
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 148 Posts
KitMaker Network: 106 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 03:01 PM UTC
HI all,

This is just a bit of a rant to let some frustrations out, but does anyone else ever feel like nothing goes right?

I've had some bad luck with missing pieces, and have since been checking all my kits. I just started a Minicraft 777 OOB for a little bit of a change of pace, thought everything was there, but then today get to a point and one of the landing gear pieces is no where to be found.

I thought maybe it was kitting around somewhere, but I checked my photos I took of the sprue when I removed them from the box (something I do for reference and writing) and sure enough, the piece wasn't on it's sprue. Not only that, but the parts on the sprue are mislabeled. Supposed there are six wheels for the each side wing gear, and two on the front, well, the two front ones are labeled as, and on the sprue with, the wing gear and the two wheels marked for the nose gear are actually wheels for the wing gear... nothing major, but a minor annoyance nonetheless...grrrr.

Now the hunt begins to see if the missing piece is around, or whether I can get a new one from Minicraft.

Hope no one else has the problems with kits I do some days.

didiumus
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 564 Posts
KitMaker Network: 138 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 03:34 PM UTC
Sorry about that. That is why I always open my kits and inventory them. I have been bitten in the past by leaving kits sealed. Years later when you open them to build, you are in trouble.

Try contacting them, they should help you out. I just had a good experience with Dragon over a Panther I have with some missing parts...

Scott
Jeepney
Visit this Community
Philippines
entire network: 1,538 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 07:32 PM UTC
Our local stores always check if all the kit sprues and other parts are complete before handing it over to the customer. Most instruction sheets have a parts list and the salesperson ticks off the items one by one. This is store SOP and it prevents a lot of problems. It would be more difficult if the kit was bought online though. Hope you can get the missing parts from the manufacturer!
User_789
Visit this Community
Sweden
entire network: 476 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 08:28 PM UTC
Landon,

I agree with Scott, that you should try to contact them. When it is missing a part in my kits, I always tries to contact the dealer or the company.

I would like to recommend Verlinden for thier service, they answer quite fast on one's emails, and they have send me parts without I have to pay for the shipping.
Dmd
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
entire network: 430 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 10:05 PM UTC
untill now i've never had problems with Revell, Tamiya and Dragon when it come's to missing parts so mayby try these brands

greetzz

and sorry to hear such things,chear up
TempExp
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2003 - 02:40 AM UTC
Hi all,

Yep, I've already called them and left a message about getting the part.

I actually do check to make sure all the parts are there when I get kits, especially after having missing parts in both a DML and Italeri kit recently. It took some doing, but I was finally able to get the parts for those. I guess I missed seeing the piece missing since it is kind of small and in the middle of the sprue.

Sounds like a pretty good store if they check the kit for you to make sure all the parts are there. It'd be nice if more places did that, but it seems to me a lot of the places you buy kits from either don't know anything about them, or just don't care.
TempExp
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2003 - 07:31 AM UTC
I did get in touch with Minicraft today and it was very helpful. I was told a replacement wouldn't be a problem and would be sent right out. If so, I'm impressed with the service so far.

Only time will tell, I guess.
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 3,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 678 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2003 - 10:19 AM UTC
My local hobbyshop is the same way.When one of us armor geeks buys a kit,we pop it open right there. And of course the rest of the geeks ooo and ahh over it.Back when the AFV club 155 came out a couple of the kits were factory sealed,yet missing the barrel.No one got stuck. (++) (++)
steve203
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 579 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2003 - 12:16 PM UTC
Thats wild, the parts were mislabeled on the sprue? I guess that means there are some more kits out there that are screwed up. If the sprue is wrong the mold was wrong. Sorry I know how frustrating it can be to spend your money on a kit and it's missing pieces.
capnjock
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 860 Posts
KitMaker Network: 340 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2003 - 04:15 PM UTC
Unfortunately, the vast majority of my missing parts are in the great, deep void that surrounds my bench. I have even had to by a second kit for a single tiny part because the contest date was IN THE MORNING! But yes, I also check my kits as soon as possible, ( way too many warped
parts recently).
capnjock
 _GOTOTOP