_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Help! Template needed for turret!
SSgtMack
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 117 Posts
KitMaker Network: 12 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 06:06 AM UTC
Does anyone have a template for a naval cruiser turret in 1/35 scale? I have tried to start one up but I can't get the angles correct for the pieces to join. My plan is to make a coastal fortification for a diorama.

Thanks and Semper Fi!
casper
Visit this Community
Nelson, New Zealand
entire network: 395 Posts
KitMaker Network: 152 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 09:47 AM UTC
I can't help you with an actual template, however here's the method I use when making multiple angle joint pieces - (I assume you have 3-view plans to work from ?).
The easiest method that I have found is to grab a block of wood and cut it to the basic overall dimension of the piece needed, then x-ref with your plans, mark off the angle intersections, then cut off the surplus areas. This should leave you with the basic shape including the angles.
Next up just start laying the individual plastic plates, bevel each edge as you add each additional plate. It's usually easiest if you start with the top (roof) then add 1 side plate then just continue around the circumference.
For example, heres the plans I'm currently working with (1/35th scale RC tug):

and from these I have made the internal "buck" - note: I used metal as I will build three of these, plus I wanted to have a play on the mill , normally I'd just use wood and a saw.

sorry I haven't got around to taking pic's of the actual plating progress but hopefully you get the idea.
HTH

Roger.
SSgtMack
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 06:22 PM UTC
Thanks for the advice! I'll try it out.

4thLAV_Bn
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 119 Posts
KitMaker Network: 16 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 01:02 PM UTC
Hey Devil Dog... any particular cruiser class turret you're looking for? I have quite a few plans on my hard drive that I can cut and paste the plan and profile views of a turret into a tif or jpeg image for emailing.
SSgtMack
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 04:18 PM UTC
OOOOHHH RAAAHHH!!! That's what I'm talking about!

Do you have any plans for any of the German cruisers: Gneisenau or Scharnhorst? If not any German light or heavy cruiser turret (main gun turret) will work.

Semper Fi!
4thLAV_Bn
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 10:16 PM UTC
I have to run to work in a half hour, but this afternoon I'll get the drawings assembled for emailing, with some reference photos I have.

Semper Fi
4thLAV_Bn
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 09:53 AM UTC
Got the drawings and the pics ready to send, pm me with your email address so I can send them!

Semper Fi,
Clark
SSgtMack
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 11:00 AM UTC
PM has been sent!

Thanks for your help, 4th LAV Bn ! (I assume that was the unit you were in?)
I was in 1st Bn./ 1st Marines in their STA platoon, 1/5 STA, 1/9 STA, and ended up in the air wing as a Primary Marksmanship Instructor for my last 2 years.
4thLAV_Bn
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 01:36 PM UTC
Yeah, I did 5 years as an 0354 (Assault antitank guided missile gunner, 'TOW gunner' less formally) with Weapons company at Quantico and later D co at Ft. Detrick after they split Wpns up into a weapons platoon in each of the companies. Hit hard times when they started 'right-sizing' in the 90's, couldn't go active USMC and wound up going active Navy in subs for 9 years. Oddly enough, there was another E6 and an E4 on my boat (USS Albuquerque) who had both served as Marines. Strangely enough, we 3 always scored highest at small arms quals
SSgtMack
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 04:41 PM UTC
Once a Marine, Always a Marine! For that I will spare you the Navy cracks that usually transpire between Marines and Navy! I appreciate your support for this. Let me know if there is anything I can help you out with for your builds.

Semper Fi, Clark!
4thLAV_Bn
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 02:07 PM UTC
Thanks! I'm happy that my store of naval plans and drawings was of use. I'm finishing an ODS M60A1 (USMC obviously) and then scratchbuilding an old Six-ton tank in 22.5:1 (G scale) to use in front of a G-scale VFW post I'm doing for my dad's train layout. I usually do ships, but I think I'm burning out for the moment and want some armor
SSgtMack
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 08:55 AM UTC
Ships, huh? You really are a Rustpicker at heart, ain't cha? Only kidding!
I have a 1:350 scale USS Essex from Trumpeter (CV9). My Dad was on her from '59-'63 but she was refitted as an anti-submarine carrier with an angle deck (CVS9).
Any suggestions how I modify this ship from WWII configuration to Cold War configuration?

4thLAV_Bn
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 12:36 PM UTC
I'd get some good plans and a crap-ton of photos, before and after. Then, I'd modify the hull to fit the new configuration, then the flight deck, and then the superstructure. Of course, I'm not familiar with that ship, so let me look at some pics and I'll have more for you
SSgtMack
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 07:59 PM UTC
Thanks, Leatherneck. PM me with your email so we can discuss this conversion.

You already have mine. Thanks for your help in this.

Semper Fi!

DM
 _GOTOTOP