_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
model scaling
docdios
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,998 Posts
KitMaker Network: 257 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 01:07 AM UTC
Hi all

does anybody have a link to a good on line scale calculator, i have some plans i need to replicate down to 1/35 scale (i don't have the luxury of a CAD program) so i am having to do this by hand.

otherwise what is the best way to scale down the sizes to 1/35 when they are in Cm and ft.

thanks in advance

cheers

Keith
TUGA
Visit this Community
Setubal, Portugal
entire network: 1,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 562 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 03:29 AM UTC
Hi,

IIRC one member of ArmoramA has done a scale calculator that we can download.

It uses cm or ft as measuremnets and you can use it to convert cm to ft or vice-versa.

I'll look if I still have it at my home PC.

KoSprueOne
Visit this Community
Myanmar
entire network: 4,011 Posts
KitMaker Network: 879 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 04:30 AM UTC
I did a quick search in the box for kitmaker net using "scale calculator" and found a few threads with links and discussion.

The one I use most is this link:
http://jimbobwan.com/scalcalc.htm

dannyw
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 2 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 03:48 PM UTC
If you have access to a good copier, as found in many print shops, or even a library, you can just photocopy the plans down to your desired scale. If the original has a scale bar, showing the scale used, just figure out a measurement on that scale, say 6 feet, calculate what that length should be in your desired scale ( 6'=72" ) Working in metrics, lets say 2m or 200cm or 2000mm would be a good choice. Divide that measurement by your chosen scales' denominator, in this case 35. Your resulting measurement is what that measurement would want to be in 1/35th. In this case, it would be 2000/35=57.14mm. Mark up your drawing with a 2m length between two lines, and copy at a reduced ratio until you have that set of lines exactly 57.14 mm apart. Your drawing is now at 1/35th.
There is a way to calculate the percentage drop when reducing, or the opposite if blowing up a drawing. Most print shops will have a slide rule wheel that gives the ratio.
I will ususally find a known dimension of the real vehicle, say the wheelbase, and determine the correct dimension in my scale by dividing by 48. I know that when I get the print very close to that figure, I'm close enough to start hacking plastic. Since we are never absolutely sure if a) the drawing was accurate to begin with, and b) if it was printed to the correct scale, the above is a preferred method to get it right.
For what it's worth, I get the main dimensions as close as possible, and the rest will follow by being in visual proportion.
You didn't say what scale your original drawing was, but if you can say that, I can give you a close ratio to start with on a copier.
Best,
Dan Wilson
Colorado Springs, CO, USA
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 3,123 Posts
KitMaker Network: 330 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 09:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

otherwise what is the best way to scale down the sizes to 1/35 when they are in Cm and ft.

Errr, divide all the measurements by 35?

This isn't rocket science, here. A 1/35 scale model is one where all the dimensions are 1/35th of the real thing. If a hull is 4 feet long, in 1/35 scale it is 4/35 or .1143 ft long. To convert to inches multiply by 12 or .1143 x 12 = 1.371". So 4 feet in real life is 1.371" in 1/35 scale.

This isn't difficult or complex, folks. There's no hidden trick. Simple grade 6 math will do it.

I have to ask why this is repeatedly seen as a difficult thing to do? Is the concept of "scale" not understood?

Paul
c_benshoof
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 122 Posts
KitMaker Network: 23 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 04:34 PM UTC
Paul, there is no such thing as a stupid question. This site is for people to ask the questions they have. Just because you know the answer and think its elementary doesn't make you better than anyone else here.

Your rude remarks are not welcome here, if you don't have good advise to help someone with a problem they are having then move on and don't post. This is no place to have a big head, and think you are high and mighty.

MCR
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 464 Posts
KitMaker Network: 54 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 11:32 AM UTC
OK, first:

1 inch = 25.4mm exactly.

So if you want to covert 1' 4 1/4" into metric measurements add 12" (i.e. 1 foot) to 4.25"
(1/4" = 0.25". To arrive at this divide 1 by 4. This works for any fraction which is to say the decimal equivalent of 5/64" is 5 divided by 64 or 0,078125").

You end up with 16.25".
Now MULTIPLY 16.25 by 25.4 = 412.75mm

If you have a metric measurement that you want to covert to Imperial DIVIDE you dimension by 25.4.

500mm DIVIDED by 25.4 = 19.685 inches (aprox.) or around 1' 7 3/4" (very roughly).

Then to arrive at 1/35 scale DIVIDE by 35 (or whatever scale you're looking for).

Now if you have, say, a 1/25th scale drawing you want to covert to 1/35th scale DIVIDE 25 by 35 and you get the correction factor .7143 (aprox.).

Measure your 1/25th drawing and MULTIPLY by your correction factor to arrive at your new 1/35th dimension.

Let's say one side of an object in your 1/25th scale drawing is 1.128" (that's the same as 1 1/8").
You MULTIPLY that measurement by your correction factor of 0.7143 to arrive at your new 1/35th scale measurement of 0.8057" (aprox.)
BTW, your correction factor is the same regardless of which system you are using (Imperial or Metric).

OK, now let's say you want to take dimensions from a 1/35 drawing and change them to 1/25. You use the same math: 35 DIVIDED by 25 and your correction factor will be 1.4.

Think of it this way: From Scale "A" to Scale "B" is the same as saying Scale "A" DIVIDED by Scale "B" for our purposes.

Honestly, I think of these scale conversion programs as a waste of time in most cases. All you need are good drawings and measuring devices or sound dimensions and a pocket calculator.

Hope this helps.

Mark

MCR
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 464 Posts
KitMaker Network: 54 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 01:57 AM UTC
What? No one found that helpful???
thegirl
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 6,743 Posts
KitMaker Network: 456 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 03:48 AM UTC
I did ! Thanks
samkidd
Visit this Community
Alaska, United States
entire network: 530 Posts
KitMaker Network: 60 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 08:25 AM UTC

I use one that I downloaded from the Hyperscale website. It gives correct calculations and is very easy to use and install. The best part for me is that it easily gives sizes from one scale to another. I use a great many 1/35 scale models and pieces for size reference when making my 1/24 scale parts and I'd never have the amount of stuff done if it weren't for this program. I literally use it everyday and would be lost without it.

Hope this helps,
Jim
Large Scale Armory
 _GOTOTOP