_GOTOBOTTOM
Photography
Questions about shooting your models and dioramas? Ask here.
helped wanted on new camera lens
keo
Visit this Community
Nordjylland, Denmark
entire network: 613 Posts
KitMaker Network: 82 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 21, 2008 - 04:54 AM UTC
I’ve recently bought myself an EOS 1000D Canon camera. It has an EF-S 18-55mm lens with Image Stabilizer. I don’t plan to use it for much other than taking photos of my models and photos of AFVs in museums, displays and the like.
Is the standard lens okay for this, or is there another lens that you could recommend me to get?

I’ve bought myself a remote control and a tripod, is there anything else I ought to get?
calvin2000
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 886 Posts
KitMaker Network: 174 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 21, 2008 - 07:19 AM UTC
I dont have a DSLR camera I have two digital but they dont change lens. for my regular Canon AE1 I have several lens but I think your going to be happy with the 55mm the only thing else would be something in a 200mm range for getting close to things you cant get close to but then you have lighting to consider.
Good luck it sounds like a great camera.
Kelly
BTW I have an olympus om 1 also.. someday I will join you in getting a digital one..
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
entire network: 3,529 Posts
KitMaker Network: 422 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 01:30 PM UTC
I have two lenses for my D80. One is the regular 18-55 the other is a 70-300. A good all around is either a 18-150 or 18-200. These are both larger than the standard 52mm size, but can get a decent range, without needing to change lenses.

Recently on vacation I put on my big lense and was soooo lacking for shorter lenght shots. I still got soem killer pictures, but missed all the nice close ones. Lucky for us my wife had her cell phone which did a very good stnad in job.

My small lense is VR, same as your IS. I am pretty sure Canon has a 18-200 lense with IS. I checked out the Nkion lense in thsi size and it was between $500 and $750. Hope that helps.

ShawnM
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 564 Posts
KitMaker Network: 37 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 07:10 AM UTC
first off congrats on a nice camera purchase. I've been shooting canon for the last 13+ years.
The "kit" lense is a pretty decent walk around lense but its not very fast (ie low f-stop) so it may struggle in lower light like museums unless you change the ISO to a higher value or use your EV compensation.
I prefer to use faster glass like a Tamron 28-75 f2.8, or a Canon 50mm f1.8. The 50 is a better outdoor lense till you get used to the nature of a prime. The Tamron is a GREAT walk around lense and is wonderful indoors.
For any longer range work I use a Canon 70-200 f4L and a 1.4x tele-converter.
If you're mainly doing model photography, look into a dedicated macro lense and sign up for the Strobist Blog online, it'll cover all your lighting needs with great DIY tips.

Hope some of that helps.
Shawn
ShawnM
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 564 Posts
KitMaker Network: 37 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 07:21 AM UTC
forgot to add:
buy filters, at least leave a simple UV filter on to protect the lense glass and you may want to get a circular polariser for controling glare and reflections outdoors. A quality lense cloth is a must (dont use your shirt).
johncpo
Visit this Community
New Mexico, United States
entire network: 81 Posts
KitMaker Network: 9 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 15, 2008 - 09:57 AM UTC
I grew up in a Kodak family, my father invented many of the film process techniques that we have seen over the past 50 or so years and has over twenty inventions credited to Eastman Kodak. He invented the color slide cardboard mount, turning Kodak into the giant of the slide film industry that still reverberates today. Photography in the digital age is still the same, cameras record only what people shoot, no more, no less.
Read the camera instructions, and experiment as you wish, digital photography is no different than film and if you grew up with film, you will see the similarities. Light and motion are all still attacking the subject. Your cameras have every setting on them now from fully automatic to fully manual and you can play around with every one until you find the right one for model photography. Here are some simple tricks.
1.) I have a Nikon D40 with a 28-55mm lens and 70-300mm lens that has a Macro setting, which is perfect for close up detail work. Use the Macro on models and follow the camera lighting guide for the exposure time.
2.) Many articles have been written about indoor lighting and photography, research the ones in FSM and MRR magazines the tips are very useful, I follow them as well. Even though I have been taking photos for 40+ years I can still learn what is needed.
3.) For digital photography indoors use a medium blue background, the foam photo mounting boards or the blue poster paper is an inexpensive and effective background. And you can add digital backgrounds later with programs like Photoshop which is a must for the hobbyist.
4.) Practice and more practice, Digital cameras that include higher memory as mine work great if you buy the 540 to 1000 image memory chips, just remember to recharge the battery as needed. No film to burn up as I now can't think of a better way to keep on with the photography.
5.) Lighting; I use two lights, each mounted in a work light reflector, one 150 watt and the other a 75 watt to fill in the shadows, and the D40 built in flash supplies enough light off the blue background to really highlight the subject. I have two dioramas in the Photo section of this sight under "johncpo" to show off some of my work, these were photographed from the hip without too much set-up time. Just a simple photo-session.
6.) Experiment with all of the options, with digital you cannot do wrong and with a camera that forces you to use the view finder you will see exactly what you take the photograph of through the lens, a Single Lens Reflex camera is the easiest large camera to use and the settings many to play around with.
7.) Don't be affraid to try, try and try again. With at least 540 images how can you go wrong, since you can "trashcan" any you don't like and start from scratch.

Best of luck,

johncpo
 _GOTOTOP