_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
1:32 mixing with 1:35?
invictis
Visit this Community
Netherlands
entire network: 49 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 01:38 AM UTC
Hi
here we go again, I was curious I have some excellent afrika corps from airfix multipose but they are scale 1:32, but I wsih to make a diorama with a supporting tank but I only have tamiya tanks(tons of it) on scale 1:35. Do you guys think I can put these two scales together or would it make no sense and be disturbing?
please let me know,
thanks,
greetz,

Alco
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 01:52 AM UTC
This has come up before and it's a visual preference thing. My 2 cents is that people come in all sizes and shapes. So it wouldn't be out of the realm that a 6'2" guy is fighting next to a 5' guy.
What you do need to consider is the size of the equpiment. That will all be the same. An M16 is an M16. A jeep is a jeep and these scales can't mix.

I have mixed some VP figures (which are more 1/32 than 1/35) with some Tamiya figures and it looks fine. I used the Tamiya equipment throughout.
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 02:06 AM UTC
I'm with Slodder. I have seen dioramas with 1/32nd scale planes and 1/35th scale people that I thought were okay (nobody knows how big those silly wingy thingys really are anyway, do they?) As a matter of fact, I think the figures made by individual manufactures have a tendancy to grow and shink over time. Compare some of the old DML stuff to the newer stuff and there is a big difference. I have noticed this with some Tamiya figures as well.
If you think it looks okay, have at it...
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 02:30 AM UTC
You should be OK. The only problem you would have is if you had two like vehicles in the different scales. For example, if you had the old Monogram 1/32 scale Sherman and next to it a 1/35 scale Tamiya Sherman. Then the difference would be noticeable.

Myself, I'm a 1/35 scale soldier existing in a 1/32 scale world. It does make living inside a tank much easier though.
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 02:37 AM UTC
If you want to make a dio out of it, position the tanks a little father away from the infantry. This will make the model looks the same scale.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 02:45 AM UTC
Whenever i see them, i buy the old airfix multipose. I've got quite a number now of all types. I've put them beside Tamiya, Dragon and anything else and the effect is good. These figures were some of the best things every produced by anyone, apart from the 1/32nd scale, the standard is as high as anything produced in plastic today. I've even got the airfix 17lb anti-tank gun....... Jim
invictis
Visit this Community
Netherlands
entire network: 49 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2003 - 02:07 AM UTC
same here , I really love the airfix multipose, I have lot's of them I have like 24 afrika korps, can't wait to make a diorama with a full frontal charge with those DAK and a supporting tank, I'll keep you all informed regarding the process and when it is done I will try to take some pics of it and post them
chevalier
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 57 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 31, 2003 - 04:38 PM UTC
You could have fun with some forced perspective.

Chevalier
Redleg1-7FA
Visit this Community
Armed Forces Europe, United States
entire network: 20 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 01, 2003 - 04:31 PM UTC
I think that mixing 1/32 with 1/35 is acceptable in some cases, like for example:
I'm working on a little scenario with a german column in italy with an american (small one
ground force pinned down and two 1/32 scale spitfire scrafing the column.
my only problem is finding decals for the 303FG so I can keep it american?
I've got most of my kits somewhat finished, they just need some weathering and what not?
And my biggest problem is I want to make a large diaroma for it but since I'm stationed over seas getting my completed project home to the states would be a large pain in the A@#!
What to do What to do?
Graywolf
Staff MemberSenior Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
entire network: 6,405 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,013 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 01, 2003 - 07:52 PM UTC
Hi Alco,
I used 1:32 figures combined with 1:35 figures and vehicles before and the result was not disturbing.Airfix afrikakorps figures are really excellent for a desert diorama.an easy trick that can help you; put the 1:35 scales in the front side,1:32 scales to the back.if you have a 1:35 vehicle on the diorama,use 1:35 scale figures near the vehicle,1:32s a lil far .
 _GOTOTOP