_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
painting concrete
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 2,127 Posts
KitMaker Network: 677 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 10:30 PM UTC
what colours should i use to paint concrete, the kind used for taxiways on airbases,
tamiya and revell are the only paint ranges my local model shop stocks but there is an arts and crafts shop nearby, any help would be appreciated
cj_baller
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 49 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 12:10 AM UTC
use a mix of colours to create your desired colour, get some grays and whites, add some talk to the mix to add a little texture to the concrete
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 01:41 AM UTC
For this 1/72 scale tarmac I used Tamiya dark gray as a base. I then added another lighter coat (added a touch of white). Then I added more white and did the fade.

You may want to experiment till you get it the way you want. Not all concrete will be the same color. Even the use will alter the color - lots of traffic will leave rubber and scuff marks etc.
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,933 Posts
KitMaker Network: 814 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 06:17 AM UTC
Hi greatbrit. If your local arts and craft shop sells Anitas craft acrylics they do a colour called Anthracite,it would make a great base to work from going on Scotts photo, these paints a great to work with always dry flat and are cheap I use them all the time where i need a lot of coverage like you do. hope this helps.
Stormin
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 232 Posts
KitMaker Network: 49 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 10:09 AM UTC
greatbrit,
I totally agree with what the others have said (great advice from great modellers. Outstanding pic of the Boxcar? dio Slodder). For my tuppence worth, if you want to add stains use thinner with a touch of black and or brown to stain the thinner not thin the paint. use this to make spills or stains from repairs / refuelling depending on your idea. You can also run your scalpel into your runway base to simulate joins and add a little talc into black paint to make it look like the expansion seams on more modern runways. Hope this is of some help to you.
All the best for your build, Kenny.
P.S. You're right, keep the Pound. :-)
ZoomieE7
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 145 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 10:49 AM UTC
Suggest adding a bit of tan/sand color to the mix. Concrete often has a "warm" hue to it, and it's a nice contrast, especially if the aircraft is in "cooler" colors. Rob
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 2,127 Posts
KitMaker Network: 677 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 09:39 PM UTC
thanks for the advice lads ill try those techniques out,
happy modelling!
kkeefe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 1,416 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2003 - 02:04 PM UTC
Another possible option.

I used a combination of Polly S Railroad Colors. They produce "Aged Concrete" as well as a "Concrete" colors. I fumbled thru this one and was never happy with the final concrete colors. I washed and drybrushed until I almost considered doing it over, but didn't. This was done over Evergreen Styrene.

Spots were flicked on with thinned oils.

_GOTOTOP