_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: The Bush Telegraph
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Mates in QLD ok?
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 02:31 PM UTC
Hey QLD modellers,

You guys all okay after Sunday's storm/flash floods etc?

You guys are in our thoughts

Rudi
airborne1
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 915 Posts
KitMaker Network: 48 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 11:00 PM UTC
Hey Rudi

Its a bit wet but otherwise the storms missed us where we are.
thank you!!!

A few suburbs got hammered by cricket ball sized hail.

The media called one suburb "The gap" as 'ground zero"
The houses in this suburb lost roofs and some streets have been closed off from the devastation it caused.

We're expecting more storms this week and coming into summer it's this time of year where you get a stinking hot day followed by a huge storm .

Having insurance of your model collection goes a long way .
jasmils
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 1,016 Posts
KitMaker Network: 129 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2008 - 03:24 AM UTC
The "Gap" was only part of the mess. Here in Keperra he were hit just as bad, if not worse than the Gap. That part of Brisbane is in a small and deep valley and I won’t say shielded but they did get hammered. We never saw any news or emergency services until today. The roads in my part only opened this afternoon along with the power coming back on at 430pm.
Here in Keperra, we were on the same line that the storm took and I have never seen anything like it. Even after sitting inside an M113 in Townsville in 2000 and being hit by a cyclone, yesterday was worse.
My work shop was blown all over the place when the garage door opened due to the wind but no water damage. Phil (auburn) who lives on the other side of the suburb did have a tree land on the soldier room and his daughter’s car.
Ian who lives in the Gap also had tree damage I believe.

These are 2 images I pulled from the video I took. The white out is mostly wind, hail and a bit of rain at this stage. Later on there were large tree branches flying thru the air.
It was just like a cyclone, the front hit then it went quite for about 2 min's, then the second front hit much worse than the first. This I think is when most of the damage was done by the already week trees.
This part of town has, well had I should say, had the attraction of being very bush like with a lot of trees. Not anymore.
But one thing is for sure, it is amazing and sad that there was olny one fatality.

Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 11:44 PM UTC
Thanks for the update Mike & Jase. There was a second front yesterday wasn't there? All ok?

If you speak to the boys tell 'em we're thinking of 'em.
jasmils
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 01:27 AM UTC
Yesterday was another bad one. Worst floods in Brisbane since the '74 floods.
Tonight we were hit again with yet another big storm.
And the weather guy is forcasting even worse storms for Saturday.
Fingers crossed.

Jason
fanai
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 2,654 Posts
KitMaker Network: 292 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 10:08 AM UTC
Hi Guys - We were at ground Zero -Have spent the last 5 days putting my house back together- My 19yr old Daughter was Home alone and Rang us in hysterics - Her Boyfriend only lives 2mins away by car but tried for 1/2 hour to get thru - eventually walk over. Her car was hail damaged - Our hour had the main Electric cable pulled from the house got a broken window and tree on veranda but it was the water damage - my figure cabinet is in the dining room and that is where all the water came in -lost several books that were on the table- sons room leaked- lost our brand new solar hot water system -moved 6 inches- we were 120km away and we had a hell of a time just getting home - cleaned up moday - not able to drink the water, or no phones cleaned tuesday and wednesday -3 footpathfulls of trees No phones and no way to recharge mobile, -Then got more water in the house on Wednesday night - 6 rooms water damage to ceilings and now they are saying we are expecting another severe storm. AAARRGh but we are all ok - very tired and not getting much sleep and as Jason said poor Keperra got hit just as bad as the storm blew thru our suburburb and thru theirs and then hit the next - and Jasons previous suburb got hit just as bad as well- a B------dy mess up here in Brisbane- but everyone has been fabulous -took till monday afternoon to start getting help as there was so so many really badly damaged homes- we were truely blessed: - the top of a hardwood tree just missed the house and landed on our back fence- if that one had hit any part of the house we would have had a lot more problems.
Ian
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 10:14 AM UTC
Ian,

Sorry to hear about the damages mate. But at least everyone is ok, well as ok as one could be in a situation like this. Let us know if you need anything.

You guys are in our thoughts

Rudi
fanai
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 2,654 Posts
KitMaker Network: 292 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 07:28 PM UTC
Thanks - Phil Jason & I would appreciate it
youngc
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
entire network: 2,166 Posts
KitMaker Network: 473 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 10:22 PM UTC
Oh dear, very sorry to hear about all the damage. I'll also be happy to help in any way. I'll be sure to get a few prayers together for you guys over the next few days.

If gear (modelling related?) was damaged, perhaps we can set up a fund or something for replacements... anyone else interested?

Chas
auburn
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 102 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 21, 2008 - 10:33 AM UTC
Hi folks,..
when the sh.....t hits the fan,.. well it gose all over the place, roof over the soldier room stuffed, daughters,..car stuffed, power cables pulled out of the house,all done by one tree.., plenty of water around, but folks we are still breathing, and I did a good days sculpting yesterday....

cheers folks..Phil..
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
entire network: 1,605 Posts
KitMaker Network: 34 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 05:07 PM UTC
My commiserations guys, having lost a lot of my refrences in our big storms in the early 90's I know the heartbreak. Glad you are all Ok though. Cheers
Al
grimmo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 752 Posts
KitMaker Network: 94 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 11:47 PM UTC
hey guys! been a while since i was on here. I spent 9 days straight helping fix houses and with the clean up. (i'm with the SES) and here was me thinking around a week before that nothing like that will ever happen in brisbane!
Griffon65
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 363 Posts
KitMaker Network: 54 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 30, 2009 - 04:59 PM UTC
Over 2 months after the storms hit and there are still houses without roofs. Thankfully my grandparents live right up near the edge of The Gap so they were shielded from most of the wind and hail by the top of the hill they live on.

I was out near Wynum when the storm hit and my car got smashed by hail. A friend of mine had his Rodeo's roof practically split down the middle by a huge crease made by a giant hailstone the size and shape of a discus.

Scary stuff.

By the way, are you a Townsville bloke as well Jason? Or did you get posted out there?
jasmils
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Friday, January 30, 2009 - 11:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

By the way, are you a Townsville bloke as well Jason? Or did you get posted out there?

No mate, been here here for years, but was in 2/14 LHR for a while and then got out. You?

Cheers Jason
Griffon65
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 363 Posts
KitMaker Network: 54 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 10:15 AM UTC
I grew up out near Mount Low but moved to Brisbane in mid 2000 when I was 9 y/o. I think I can remember being through at least 3 cyclones while in Townsville (I remember that for 3 cyclones we had our rumpus room and the un-carpeted part of our lounge filled with about 5 or 6 cars from houses down the street).

Cyclones were fine for me, sometimes it was a bit of fun to be honest. But I'll never forget that bloody cyclone warning siren. About a month ago I realised it still scares the (Auto Censored) outa me. The City Council was testing those alarm thingies they put up around the city centre while I was in it. They just had to choose the cyclone siren
youngc
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
entire network: 2,166 Posts
KitMaker Network: 473 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 01:29 AM UTC
Fire in Victoria, flood in QLD. Are there any modellers in (or have escaped from) flood effected areas?

Chas
CReading
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,726 Posts
KitMaker Network: 558 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 03:34 AM UTC
I heard about the fires this morning on the news. I understand there were quite a few deaths. My sympathies to the citizens of Australia. Having just read through this thread, I'm glad to hear it seems everyone associated with the site is alright albeit lots of personal property damage.
Hopefully things will get back to normal for all of you soon.

Charles
bilko
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 584 Posts
KitMaker Network: 200 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 02:18 AM UTC

Going back to the original post. I live half way between Brisbane and the Gold Coast - so we were on the Southern edge of the storm. Just a bit of wind and a hell of a lot of rain but no damage or flooding excepot for the bl@@@@dy internet.

I was on a wireless connection as there is no ADSL here and the storm took out the tower behind where we live. After now 3 months of arguing etc etc etc we have had no connection and I am getting satellite dish put on the roof tomorrow so I can again connect to the net. The wireless connection is stuffed because the trees have grown on the Crown land adjacent to the tower and funnily enough the signal won't pass through them.

So tonight I was playing around and all of a sudden the connection light went green and BINGO....here I am. We had some wind a bit earlier and I bet it has blown a couple of branches down.

Anyway my troubles are nothing compared to what Ian Jason Phil and co went through, or what the Victorians and North and Western Queenslanders are going through at the moment. It is hard to comprehend the area devestated by fire in Vic and that 62% of Qld is under water. If only some of our water could have been down there last week...........

Brian
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 10:18 AM UTC
Hi Brian,

Good to hear you're well.

We could have used that water even before the last few weeks' events. I really do hope the guys up north are okay - the news down in VIC has obviously been dominated by our own tragedy.

Rudi
 _GOTOTOP