_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: The Union Jack Club
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
war films
bellers
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 253 Posts
KitMaker Network: 28 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 07:15 AM UTC
hello people as i like building tanks i also like watching war flicks.iv just finished watching sahara starring james belushi was made in 1995.good film apart from belushis random spraying of his thompson.just wonderd what war films u guys like 2 watch....
lespauljames
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,661 Posts
KitMaker Network: 399 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 09:02 AM UTC
i like to watch band of brothers, thats basically 10 filmslol, but more often than not im gaming, as u feel more envolved in astoryline, im curretly waiting for the fim stalker to come, its 150 mins long lol
muddyfields
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 884 Posts
KitMaker Network: 78 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 08:48 PM UTC
Hi
Where do I start just love war films especially the older black n white like I used to watch on a sat afternoon.
Sand of Iwo Jima
Guadacanal Diary
Battleground
merrills maruaders
Attack
Then the more modern films like
Band of Brothers
We were Soldiers
Black Hawk Down
Battle of the Bulge

These have to be some of my all time favorites.
But my most Favorite war film has to be
Saving Private Ryan.
AIRGUNNER
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 246 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 01:27 PM UTC
Yes SPR is good if you like action, not so good for accuracy....

For me it is We Were Soldiers..

Great story sympathetically told, good action but not over dramatised and, what makes it for me, a brilliant soundtrack..
firstcircle
Visit this Community
entire network: 2,249 Posts
KitMaker Network: 198 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 09:44 AM UTC
Some interesting war films to try to get to see, especially if you're strangely obsessed by Germans, Russians and the eastern front (like a lot of us are...)

"Stalingrad" of course. Not totally authentic, but some big battle scenes, and generally gruelling as it should be. German made so isn't full of Yanks winning everything. Went to see it with a friend who said "after watching that I don't care if I live or die" - as he almost stepped in front of a black cab. . .

"A Time to Love and a Time to Die" - based on a novel by Eric Maria Remarque, this is really more of romance and a real weepie, about a soldier who falls in love while on leave in his bombed out home town, except, almost certainly unique for a Hollywood movie, the soldier is German and is on leave from the eastern front. Directed in the 1950s by a Danish/German emigre, Douglas Sirk. When he left Nazi Germany for the USA, his wife stayed behind, and his son ended up fighting and dying in Russia, so very personal for him. Well worth checking out, and one you could get any women in your life to happily watch. There are scenes set at the front some featuring Russian partisans.

"Come and See" - a Soviet made film from the 1980s, I only saw it once, but I remember a couple of people walking out of the cinema as it is so grim. Full on horror of war stuff with Byelorussian villages being burnt to the ground by rampaging soldiers in half tracks, the inhabitants fleeing to the marshes, and meeting up with partisans. Some diversions into oddness, but this is intended to rub your face in it.

"Downfall" - most have probably seen this already, but if not, you must see it. Totally gripping, highly convincing, eye-opening and just jaw dropping... The actress playing Traudl Jung is so beautiful as a consolation for the grimness; if you've watched the World at War much, you'll probably have seen the real Traudl, interviewed in 1973/4 - and she really was very attractive even thirty odd years later.

The only other Hollywood one I can think of in the east is "Enemy at the Gates", which I thought was OK in a way, some quite convincing scenes in it.

Then another German film is the superb "Das Boot" which crops up on the TV quite often, there is both a movie version and a 6 or so hour (?) version. Again, very convincing, gripping, utterly claustrophobic and sweaty. Saw it at the cinema and cried at the end...

Seem to remember it was the following week I saw "The Night of San Lorenzo" - made by a famous Italian brother partnership, this is about Italian peasants, partisans, Fascist remnants, struggling against each other while the American forces draw closer. Again, saw it a long time ago, but found it very memorable and also moving - another one you could watch with ladies (and you might even appear all sophisticated . . .) In Italian with subtitles, you can get it at Play.com.

firstcircle
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 09:52 AM UTC
By the way, you can get all these films at Tesco.com. Even the 50s one, the Russian one and the Italian one. I don't believe it. Now you've got no excuse.
calvin2000
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 886 Posts
KitMaker Network: 174 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 12:08 PM UTC
Battle of Britain , D day, Von Richthofen and Brown and of course Kelly's Hero's
oh and One of our aircraft is missing.
Kelly

PS the silent film Wings also
Hohenstaufen
Visit this Community
entire network: 2,192 Posts
KitMaker Network: 386 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 04:20 PM UTC
One of my all time favourites is "Zulu", despite the inaccuracies still a fine story well told. Like wise "Zulu Dawn", the "prequel" is interesting in many ways. "Ice Cold in Alex", "The Way Ahead", "Theirs the Glory" (film about Arnhem made in 1946 using vets of the operation, & shot on actual location). A little known oddity, "It Happened Here", made by the Historical Research Unit, features a real Jagdpanther, & is a "what if" about a German occupied UK, with a British SS unit "Black Prince" fighting partisans. "Kelly's Heroes" of course. "A Bridge Too Far", is one I'll also watch because I like nit picking about wrong vehicles etc, it has some very dodgy German armour in it, & "Cross of Iron". I was impressed by the attention to detail in "Band of Brothers", & don't mind SPR despite the inaccuracies. Honourable mentions for "Waterloo" (I once read a critics write up on it which complained that it was just one long battle scene! Not what you expect from a film about a battle then apparently!), though the Charge of the Scots Greys is abit arty-farty; "Stalingrad", very grim & gritty, "Battle of Britain", "The Longest Day", all the usual suspects in fact...
Hohenstaufen
Visit this Community
entire network: 2,192 Posts
KitMaker Network: 386 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 04:25 PM UTC
Oh yes, forgot "Gettysburg", almost spiritual in parts, while not glossing over the death & destruction, & since it seems to have been made partly by reenactors, has a feeling of accuracy about it.
firstcircle
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, November 21, 2008 - 01:34 AM UTC
Thanks for the "It Happened Here" suggestion, I will definitely check that one out.
martyncrowther
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,548 Posts
KitMaker Network: 91 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 05:12 AM UTC
band of brothers
ive seen kelly's heroes once i want it on dvd
martyncrowther
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,548 Posts
KitMaker Network: 91 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 05:13 AM UTC
O and enemy at the gates!
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 05:59 AM UTC
"It Happened Here"--- just happen to be watching that one now.
As for Sahara, try the original with Boggie.
bellers
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 253 Posts
KitMaker Network: 28 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 07:33 AM UTC
will do.dident no it was a remake of an older film
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 19, 2008 - 05:42 AM UTC
So many can't remember but will try:
Band of Brothers...........Pvt Ryan............Zulu...........Gettysburg........Kelly's Heroe's......The Alamo (not John Wayne)......Black Hawk Down.......Stalingrad...........The Winter War....Tora...Tora...Tora..........Letters from Iwo Jima.........Windtalkers....Gallipoli......Lawrence of Arabia............Waterloo......Andersonville.....The Rough Riders..........The Lost Battalion.

and many more
Eaglewatch
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 180 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 19, 2008 - 01:16 PM UTC
Hi Matthew i agree Stalingrad is a very good war film especially as it doesn't tone down the violence like some of the more modern war movies (Thin Red Line ) the only think i was disappointed about was the English region 2 version on DVD which instead of being the original german audio with english subtitles(like Black Book) for some reason the film was released with an annoying english dub which when you've seen the film in it's original format makes the film alot more tedious to watch i'm just hoping that the US region1 version has the film in it's original format
mulligan
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 54 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 19, 2008 - 07:18 PM UTC
Kelly's Heroes of course...... Full Metal Jacket....Hamburger Hill...... Apocalypse now........The Train.....Saving private Ryan.....Band of brothers......Das Boot......Battle of Brittan.
Cheers Ross
paulchatfield
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 144 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 05:14 AM UTC
The Great Escape
A Bridge too far
The Cruel Sea
Ice cold in Alex
Dambusters
Das Boot
Battle of the River Plate
Heros of the Telemark
Platoon
Carve her name with Pride
Henry V
Enemy at the gates
Band of Brothers
Saving Private Ryan
The Battle of Britain
All quite on The Western Front
Downfall
Brotherhood
Fagester
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 14 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 01:54 AM UTC
If you want a very good war film that is relatively unknown check out 'Come and See'. It's a Russian film about a boy who joins the Russian army to fight the Germans. There is no glamour or glitz just true to life hardcore Russian war gloom. It's well up there with Stalingrad (The german one).
jaypee
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,699 Posts
KitMaker Network: 114 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 06:38 AM UTC
sea of sand was on flim4 today. LRDG and dicky attenborough whats not to like. No-one deserved a pint more.
Eaglewatch
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 180 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 01:18 PM UTC
Hi Graham that film you talked about "come and see" do you know if it's available on DVD as it sounds pretty good from what you've said
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 02:23 AM UTC
"Come and See" is available from www.warshows.com in the United States

Quoted Text

Hi Graham that film you talked about "come and see" do you know if it's available on DVD as it sounds pretty good from what you've said

jaypee
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,699 Posts
KitMaker Network: 114 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2009 - 04:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

sea of sand was on flim4 today. LRDG and dicky attenborough whats not to like. No-one deserved a pint more.

I watched this over the weekend, and realised the desert film with a pint in it is Ice Cold in Alex. Hmmm some tuborg in the fridge and its snowing outside.
firstcircle
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 11:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

As I said further up: "By the way, you can get all these films at Tesco.com. Even the 50s one, the Russian one and the Italian one. I don't believe it. Now you've got no excuse."

Be warned, it is grim though.
jabo6
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 276 Posts
KitMaker Network: 72 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 11:52 AM UTC
ANZACS, the war down under. good tale about the diggers at gallipoli and on the western front .
 _GOTOTOP