_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
-decals...
invictis
Visit this Community
Netherlands
entire network: 49 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 12:56 AM UTC
-decals...how does one finish decals, it has happened to me sometimes that when the decals were applied and I added a protective layer with varnish the whole decal warped under it!!!very frustrating, and how must one finish a decal so that it appears more genuine on it, so that it does not look applied but really painted on the vehicle?anyone?

brandydoguk
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,495 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 01:36 AM UTC
The best way of applying decals is to use decal solutions, the best known being Microsol and Microset. The model is painted and given a coat of gloss varnish. Then a drop of Microset is put on the spot where the decal is to go. The decal is applied and gently smoothed into place. Then a few drops of Microsol is applied over the top and the model is left to one side. The microset improves adhesion to the gloss surface and the microsol softens the decal allowing the decal to conform to the surface. Given time the decal almost looks painted on. Then the model is coated with its final clear finish, gloss or matt.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 8,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 963 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 05:21 AM UTC
bdUK is correct, the secret of getting decals to look painted on is to first of all apply a gloss coat, I use Johnsons Klear (Future in the US) an acrylic floor polish. Use setting solutions to help the decals "conform" to the surface. I also use Micro Set and Micro Sol, but there are others on the market. Some decals react better with different solutions, you can use vinigar or rubbing alcohol. Just be careful and try anysolution out first on a spare decal. It will probably wrinkle up at first but if using a compatible solution it will settle down. After the decals are on I apply 1 or 2 (possibly more) coats of Klear. This helps hide the edge of the decals seals them and protects them from any washes and weathering you wish to apply. This also helps to make the decals look part of the replica by weathering them as part of it. The final step is the matt coat of varnish. :-)
Mal
EDIT: Here's a link to the use of Klear, in my article on the Bf110G-2: Klear
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 05:34 AM UTC
I agree with the other fellas. Be careful because not all of the decals like Microsol/Microset or similar solutions. The one I print on my own with my Alps printer sometimes tend to wrinkle when I use such products...
Ciao
 _GOTOTOP