_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
-skinworks...
invictis
Visit this Community
Netherlands
entire network: 49 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 12:55 AM UTC
-skinworks...yes I know this has been asked a trillion times, but are oils really the best and if so what oilcolours do I need then? and how oh how do you paint decent genuine faces?
Potroast
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 90 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 01:34 AM UTC
You can get outstanding results from either...it ultimately depends on what you're more comfortable with. Oils are just different than acrylics or other types of paint. They dry MUCH slower than acrylics or enamels so you have a lot of time to blend your colors and have a little more control over what the paint does.

A lot of people are scared to death of oils, but I'm the opposite and the thought of using acrylics on figures - especially on the faces - literally scares the &(#@ out of me. I can't imagine not being able to blend the paint like I want. But see...that's just my preference! Try out both types of paint and go with what you're most comfortable with.

You can buy a basic set of oils to test out on some scratch figures for a little pocket change if you want to try it out. In regards to painting faces with oils, Craig Whitaker's article here is a great place to start in regards to what oils you can use for faces and whatnot. As for painting face details, there are a lot of posts in the forums here about the subject. There is so much information in the forums and on this site you can have any question answered by doing just a little searching. It's a great place to listen and learn!

Greg B.
 _GOTOTOP