_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: The Bush Telegraph
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Hobby Stores in Australia
youngc
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
entire network: 2,166 Posts
KitMaker Network: 473 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 01:27 PM UTC
G'day,

First of all, it is a real honour to be made host of this forum. I hope I can serve well to make it an even better part of the Kitmaker network.

My first 'act' as host is to include this reference, a directory listing the most popular hobbystores Australia-wide. Hopefully it will come in handy for modellers moving inter-state or just going on holiday and want to check out some of the LHStores.

http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/shops.htm

http://www.startlocal.com.au/retailrec/hobbystores/

WOW, there are almost 100 stores in Melbourne, you lucky bastards!

Feel free to post your comments/ratings of the stores that you have visited, let us know if they're a worthwhile.

Chas
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 11:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

WOW, there are almost 100 stores in Melbourne, you lucky bastards!

LOL! They're not all our kind of hobby store though, mate

That said, I have 3 (4 if you include the GW store) within a 10 min walking distance of me when I'm at work, and Brad took me to 3 out in the north east yesterday

Eat yer heart our Chas! LOL

Rudi
youngc
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, November 09, 2008 - 12:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

LOL! They're not all our kind of hobby store though, mate

That said, I have 3 (4 if you include the GW store) within a 10 min walking distance of me when I'm at work, and Brad took me to 3 out in the north east yesterday

Eat yer heart our Chas! LOL

Rudi

Well, I took a quick look through and there's got to be at least 15-20 of 'our' type of stores within Melbourne. That's still a hellavalot!

IMO, of the very few decent hobby stores in and around Perth, Stanbridge's in Mount Lawley is the best. Apparently it is one of the best in Australia.

There used to be a good hobby store about 10mins from me, but recently they decided to 'go R/C'. I gave them an evil glare.

Chas
Angelus
Visit this Community
Tasmania, Australia
entire network: 66 Posts
KitMaker Network: 36 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 09, 2008 - 01:36 PM UTC
LOL try being in North Tas. There is 1 dedicated hobby shop and Birchalls (which sells a bit of everything). Tiger hobbies try but i guess the number of hobbyists in North Tas is pretty small.
mulligan
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 54 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 09, 2008 - 06:59 PM UTC
G'day Chas, Here in Brisbane we have Mr Toys at Springwood on the southside about 14k's out of Brisbane, Which anyone will tell you is stocked to the ceiling with model kits, mostly AVF's thank goodness for me. the Manager of the hobby section is a modler, so I guess that helps. we also have Hobbyone at Mt Gravatt, again on the southside of Brisbane, Its well stocked with most brands of kits of all types plus R/C is well catered for & Trains for those who like that sort of thing.
Mr Toys also has another good hobby supply shop in Brisbane itself in Queen St. It is well well stocked with most model types & Battle Barbie figures.
Then we have Hobbyrama at Stafford on the Northside of Brisbane.
This is a big hobby shop that carries lots of stock of just about anything you can think of.
so as you can see we are pretty lucky here in the Sunshine State.

Cheers Ross

youngc
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, November 09, 2008 - 07:34 PM UTC
Angelus, I am so sorry. I shouldn't be complaining.

Thanks Ross, you just did a good job increasing my jealousy.

Chas
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
entire network: 1,605 Posts
KitMaker Network: 34 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 10, 2008 - 07:33 PM UTC
why re invent the wheel?
http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/shops.htm

Sydney despite being our largest City is quite poorly served when compared to Melbourne. We have only a handful of good places but we have a lot of online traders who attend Clubs which helps.
Avenue was the best Hobby shop in Aust (I've seen/ shooped in most of them in my travels) but unfortunately folded. Hopefully we may one day see it back as an online supplier?

Toms in West Ryde is pretty good and Kellets in Liverpool is good but that may not last. There is a really good one in Cambelltown and another at Miranda. Hobbyco in the City is Ok.
We are well served for Military books by Battlebridge (Parramatta) who also have a great range of Kits at good prices. Parramatta also has Bergs and Sherrifs who have a huge range of used and new kits.
Cheers
Al
youngc
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 10, 2008 - 10:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Definitely not. I just wanted to put a link to the resource here on the Kitmaker network.

Without this post, I and I'm sure many others, would not have had the benefit of discovering the PMMS directory. So thanks Al! I've added the link to the initial post as it's probably a lot better than the first link.

----------------------

Moderator Edit, 24th Nov. 2008.
-This topic has been locked and un-stickied due to a new LHS directory initiative in-progress.

-Stay tuned for big changes in this community forum!
 _GOTOTOP