_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Resin Details
KiwiDave
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
entire network: 248 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 02:51 PM UTC
I have just started armour model number two - a Tamiya Chieftain. I will be scratchbuilding much of the detail but to make life easier -and for the experience -I have obtained the Castoff Mk5 upgrade set.

Just wondered about fitting the bits in place. The NBC pack for the back of the turret is a big lump of resin to glue as a butt joint - is CA strong enough or should I reinforce with some pins. Dont want the model reverting to kitset in a month or two!

What do youse all do?

Regards Dave
PorkChop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 3,179 Posts
KitMaker Network: 307 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 02:54 PM UTC
Dave,
I will sometimes mix in a little 2-part epoxy with the CA ( a bit of one glue on each part). I've never had a reaction, nor have I ever heard of any type of reaction to mixing those glues.
Pins or brass rod round like a safe way to go, but I olny use those for mounting figures to bases etc....
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 07:10 PM UTC
For bigger an heavier resin parts I prefer to use two components epoxy glue, because I've experienced that cyano is not much "shock resistant". Once taking a model to a show I found a big piece of resin that fell off my model damaging PE and scratchbuilt details when I opened the box after transport... From that day on I used epoxy and I never had the problem again.
Ciao
 _GOTOTOP