_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Needing Parts and More
ksu22000
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 2 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 03:54 AM UTC
After twenty years trying to return to model building. One of my goals is to bring back to life a few aircraft carriers I pick up at auctions. I need various parts including the aircraft. Been watching ebay but to slow finding anything. Are there websites or groups out there that can help me find parts decals and anything else for FDR Roosevelt, Forrestal, Saratoga, Essex and Akagi.

Also like to create a wooden deck for the Akagi (1/450) without a lot of talent with my air brush. Any ideas?

Thanks
Alan
calvin2000
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 886 Posts
KitMaker Network: 174 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 08:16 AM UTC
Try the Earlie aviation part allot of them make wood with oils and such and it looks really good I'm working on learning that but not well enough to try and tell someone else how to do it. you could pm Stephen or Terri for any advice on that I'm sure they would help. And try Gunny on model shipwrights for the other question
Kelly
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 7,219 Posts
KitMaker Network: 981 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 09:38 AM UTC
Don't know which scale your other carriers are in, but Trumpeter (and probably others) has a line of 1/700 aircraft. I've seen their Devastators, which are molded clear, and would assume they do other WWII planes. I've also seen some of their modern ones, F18's I believe.
The wooden deck look can be achieved by pirst painting it black, then a wood tan color. Lightly sand until some of the grain starts to show through.
Several companies offer deck sheet in various scales as well.
SAS007
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 238 Posts
KitMaker Network: 132 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2008 - 01:31 PM UTC
Hi Alan ,
Have you thought of using lollipop sticks for the wooden deck or would they be too small.
On the aircraft side , I got some at a good price off e-bay
Aoshima 1/700 Royal Naval Planes Set
Aoshima 1/700 Japanese Type 96 Naval Planes Set
Fujimi 1/700 Royal Navel Planes Set x 32
1/700 WW2 US warplanes Set 2

Found here:
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Allsorts-Emporium-UK
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fujimi-1-700-Royal-Navel-Planes-Set-x-32_W0QQitemZ290271473066QQihZ019QQcategoryZ774QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

I know it's a UK site but hope this is a help
Steve C Jnr
cybermedic
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 10 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2008 - 06:15 PM UTC
I have a veritable boat load of 1/700 aircraft, lifeboats and gun turrets for japenese ships. several of the kits ive built come with some extra sprues of the stuff, let me know if you intersested, theyed be cheap.i also have some helldivers in 1/700 and a few wildcats.
 _GOTOTOP