Soldier Stories
Served in the military? Discuss your time and experiences here.
Hosted by Dave Willett
Aircraft Pilots
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 12:37 AM UTC
How is it to fly a fighter plane? Any flight experiences you could share? What's the feeling of having black-outs/red-outs? Landing is the hardest to do right? So, how do you land the plane right?
BoarHead
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 121 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2003 - 06:33 PM UTC
Black outs? Red outs? I think you had an overdose of IL2

(++) B H (++)
Torque
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 83 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 06, 2003 - 03:17 PM UTC
Hi shonen_red,

I'm a former USAF pilot (instructor/flight examiner). I mostly flew C130's and while not a fighter pilot per-say I have had several hours of aerobatic and close formation flight training in supersonic aircraft - the T-38.

I never had a red out (negative g's are basically a no-no both for the jet and pilot) g-suits and the L1/M1 maneuver (you tense up your abdomen and thighs to keep blood flowing to the brain- help combat black outs which if they progress lead to an LOC or (loss of consciousness) not good! 6gs makes your body feel like a ton of bricks an incredible pulling force on your body that makes it harder to do things - like turn your head, lift your arm

Landings take more practice and especially formation landings (just 3ft wing tip clearance)
and are just a matter of keeping your visual cross check on your aimpoint (first 1000' of the runway) airspeed (depends on aircraft type) and centerline shortly after crossing the landing threshold you gently ease back on the stick and flare to touchdown and you keep back pressure throughout rollout keeping the nose up as long as possible to take full effect of aerodynamic braking..

Takoffs are more critical in that if you lose an engine at V1 or decision speed prior to rotation you could really be in a hurtin place ie no speed or altitude.

I hope this answers some questions.
Whiskey
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,038 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 07, 2003 - 03:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

supersonic aircraft - the T-38.

I do believe the T-38 is NOT supersonic. Last I recall that is.
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 07, 2003 - 11:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi shonen_red,

I'm a former USAF pilot (instructor/flight examiner). I mostly flew C130's and while not a fighter pilot per-say I have had several hours of aerobatic and close formation flight training in supersonic aircraft - the T-38.

I never had a red out (negative g's are basically a no-no both for the jet and pilot) g-suits and the L1/M1 maneuver (you tense up your abdomen and thighs to keep blood flowing to the brain- help combat black outs which if they progress lead to an LOC or (loss of consciousness) not good! 6gs makes your body feel like a ton of bricks an incredible pulling force on your body that makes it harder to do things - like turn your head, lift your arm

Landings take more practice and especially formation landings (just 3ft wing tip clearance)
and are just a matter of keeping your visual cross check on your aimpoint (first 1000' of the runway) airspeed (depends on aircraft type) and centerline shortly after crossing the landing threshold you gently ease back on the stick and flare to touchdown and you keep back pressure throughout rollout keeping the nose up as long as possible to take full effect of aerodynamic braking..

Takoffs are more critical in that if you lose an engine at V1 or decision speed prior to rotation you could really be in a hurtin place ie no speed or altitude.

I hope this answers some questions.

Thanks a lot dude!
Torque
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 83 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 11:06 AM UTC
Zach,

The T-38 IS supersonic, myself and several thousands of USAF pilots who have flown it can attest to that.

It won't keep up with an F-16 or F-15 but it will do Mach 1+. The fastest I got it to go was Mach 1.28.

Cheers
ZoomieE7
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 145 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 12:00 PM UTC
... and what's more, the Tango Three Eight is "Sexy Supersonic" (as opposed to the Rhino, for example). She's particularly pretty in Portuguese "Cruz de Cristo" markings. . .
Phantom
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 195 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 05:17 PM UTC
Ahhhh, but the Rhino is ugly, brutal, 'barn door with big engines' supersonic!!