_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling Questions?
Ask your modeling related questions here.
aircraft aerials
spoons327
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 6 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 31, 2008 - 04:34 AM UTC
Hi everybody

My name is Gary from the UK. I am new to the forum so I have a question to ask about the above. What is the best material to use for aerials for German aircraft for WWII, as I have been told fishing line is a good thing to use, if so what size do I need to buy as I have looked on the net and there is absolutely loads, so is there anybody out there who could help me out?

thanks
Gary
Bigskip
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,487 Posts
KitMaker Network: 464 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 05:00 AM UTC
Gary

I use smoke coloured invisible mending thread - have a look on Ebay - i'm sure you'll find some.

HTH

Andy
almonkey
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,124 Posts
KitMaker Network: 369 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 07:47 AM UTC
hello gary, and welcome to the site.
i use a really fine fishing line i found in a bargain bin at a fishing stall at thoresby market.
as a guess its about the same thickness as hair, and i use it for all my rigging and aerials-

lampie
Visit this Community
entire network: 6,249 Posts
KitMaker Network: 329 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 12:01 PM UTC
Hi Gary.
Welcome to the site.
I use the smoke coloured invisible thread too.

It can be tensioned using heat, or alternatively by using a pair of locking tweezers to pull it taunt and then glueing.

Nige
Bigskip
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,487 Posts
KitMaker Network: 464 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 08:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

It can be tensioned using heat, or alternatively by using a pair of locking tweezers to pull it taunt and then glueing.

Nige

Go carefully using the heat method - it's all to easy to get too close and melt the thread.

And yes that is speaking from experience.

Andy
Tin_Bitz
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 35 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 17, 2010 - 02:32 AM UTC
Thats some impressive rigging, is it all fishing line? On the FW-190, the top of the mast, were the wire goes through; did you drill through it or did it alreay come with a hole in it? If you did drill it was it with a pin or drill?

Sorry for so many questions...
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 8,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 963 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 17, 2010 - 06:33 AM UTC
Hi Gary,
Welcome
I use Invisable Mending thread as well, Check out my Spitfire Mk I build:
Spitfire Mk I IFF and Antenna wires
Tin_Bitz
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 35 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 18, 2010 - 12:12 AM UTC
Thats a smart looking spitfire, I've just done the same one (D WO). I messed my aerial up on mine. The aerial which goes downwards into the top of the fuselarge; did you drill a hole for that to go in? Before or after painting? I ended up with a seam cracking trying to make a small hole....
almonkey
Visit this Community
entire network: 2,124 Posts
KitMaker Network: 369 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 18, 2010 - 05:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thats some impressive rigging, is it all fishing line? On the FW-190, the top of the mast, were the wire goes through; did you drill through it or did it alreay come with a hole in it? If you did drill it was it with a pin or drill?

Sorry for so many questions...

no it not a hole through the tip, as i was building this kit i snapped off the plastic moulded on, tail tip. i had to use a small triangular piece of photo etch sprue to replace it, which would be near enough impossible to drill a hole in.
so i cheat! if you look closely at the 190 pic, what i'm doing is to rig the thread up so it touches the side of the tip, apply a small blob of superglue to hold it in place, and leave to dry. when its completely dry i loop it around the tip and under the previously glued line, apply a bit more superglue, leave to dry, cut off the excess. then by touching up the tip with the appropriate colour its almost impossible to tell it isn't through the tip.
hth, phil.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 8,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 963 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 18, 2010 - 07:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thats a smart looking spitfire, I've just done the same one (D WO). I messed my aerial up on mine. The aerial which goes downwards into the top of the fuselarge; did you drill a hole for that to go in? Before or after painting? I ended up with a seam cracking trying to make a small hole....

Hi Tim,
Yes I did drill a hole and it was before painting. Obviously it requires re-opening after painting but it saves damaging the paint.
 _GOTOTOP