_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: The Bush Telegraph
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Preferred online Hobby Store?
youngc
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
entire network: 2,166 Posts
KitMaker Network: 473 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 08:32 PM UTC
I was wondering where Australian modellers prefer to buy their kits online? In terms of range, price, shipping costs, customer service, which online store is the best?

Do you buy from Asian or US webstores, or are they too expensive or the shipping cost too much?

Please let me know, as I have yet to find my preferred webstore.

Chas
Angelus
Visit this Community
Tasmania, Australia
entire network: 66 Posts
KitMaker Network: 36 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 09:01 PM UTC
i love HLJ
youngc
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 09:06 PM UTC
Why?

The only thing I've ever bought from HLJ is Japanese armour and Fine-Mold's crews. They are the best store for this subject IMO.

Chas
Angelus
Visit this Community
Tasmania, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 11:05 PM UTC
Good selection, easy to use web page which is well laid out and intuitive. The ability to narrow searches is excellent. Their postal service is also excellent. Best of all though is their prices, they often have items on sale. I picked up the Tristar Pz IVD from them for AU$20. I saw the same item in Melbourne for nearly AU$70.
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 11:31 PM UTC
I've brought from Andrea Models, HobbyEasy, ModelsForSale, Hannants, Historex Agents, Colorado Miniatures, and Best Soldier - albeit from South Africa. All were good in their own way, and able to cater to my specific needs.

Personally, whenever I'm shopping around for something I'll check several online stores as well as the LHS prices.

Postage will probably always be cheaper from Asia that Europe or the US. Postage from certain European countries, Italy, Spain, Greece, and Turkey spring to mind, is simply ridiculous.

In selecting a hobby store, be it virtual or real, you need to do your homework. They may be good in one thing and lousy for another. It also depends what you are looking for.

Which brings us to the real question: What are you looking for, Chas?
youngc
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 11:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Which brings us to the real question: What are you looking for, Chas?

I am looking for an online hobby store that will reply to my emails promptly, that will organise to replace damaged parts or at least notify me when they are unable to do so, who are close to my own country to avoid waiting 3-4 weeks for a kit to arrive in the mail, who will NOT charge the value of the actual kit price as postage charge (i.e $30 worth of models cost $30 in shipping). This was my experience with a particular US store beginning with G. On the plus side, they do have a fantastic range, but I will not be using them again in the foreseeable future.

Red Frog is by far the best store I have bought from in terms of: replying directly and Ron offering to reduce postage costs by flat-packing kits. The only (unavoidable) problem is due to the exchange rate with the Aussie dollar only buying 0.65 USD, and the time taken to ship from the US.
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 12:16 AM UTC
Dude, you're looking for the sangrael of hobby shops

Try using Hobbyeasy then - despite the one or two negative comments they've recently had in the Armorama forums, IMO they're pretty good.

Are you looking for a kit at the moment? Or just that other intangible stuff?
youngc
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 12:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Dude, you're looking for the sangrael of hobby shops

Try using Hobbyeasy then - despite the one or two negative comments they've recently had in the Armorama forums, IMO they're pretty good.

Are you looking for a kit at the moment? Or just that other intangible stuff?

Thanks mate, I've never tried them before.

I'm looking for scale link chains (just about the only diorama material I can't find naturally or scratchbuild ) Plus another DML 8th Army figure kit (need more packs which are not supplied with the latest Commonwealth kit).

Thanks for your help Rudi,
Chas
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 12:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm looking for scale link chains (just about the only diorama material I can't find naturally or scratchbuild )

Think outside the diorama box Have you tried the local art, beading or scrapbooking shops? Also have a look at wooden ship model suppliers. Also try the historical miniatures guys - Seil used to do them, but you may find similar under the links of Andrea, Pegaso, or even VLS and Verlinden.

How big must each link be?
youngc
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 12:51 AM UTC
Gee this is better than an IM conversation! It's so instant that I'll have to tell you it's time for me to go to bed. Good night!

Thanks for your suggestions, I'm not fussed over size as long as they look reasonable on a dock setting. I'll have a look into what you have suggested.

Thanks again mate,

Chas
airborne1
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 915 Posts
KitMaker Network: 48 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 01:11 AM UTC
Hi Chas,

For me its

1.Rainbow ten
2.Great models Webstore
3.Hobby easy
4,Blast
5.Historex
6.Tristar
7.tasca shop

At present its no one because the Aussie $ is copping a caining on the international market
With a bit if luck it will claw its way back up quickly so we can get a better exchange rate
to buy more models

Cheers
Angelus
Visit this Community
Tasmania, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 08:53 AM UTC
I too have been looking for chains for a Hotchkiss tank. I found craft stores and cosmetic jewellery to be useless because they tend to be made of the links with a half twist in them ( the type which sit flat when worn). HLJ are probably not the best for those sort of items. Not bieng able to find any chain myself i've been working on a jig to make links out of electrical or beading wire. If you do find a decently priced supply please let me know.
airborne1
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 12:20 PM UTC

Re; scale link chain

Try shops that sell model trains and accesories.

I picked up some good scale chain from the yearly train show we have in Brisbane

Very good source of picking up tools as well .

Cheers

youngc
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 07:45 PM UTC
Thanks for your input Michael. There is a railway shop around the corner from me, next time I'm there I'll check for some chain.

Angelus, I would be VERY interested to learn about your jig for making chain! I have seen the cheat method posted somewhere on the forums, which involved twisting copper wire tightly to create a sort of 'optical illusion'. I didn't find it very convincing though.
andy007
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
entire network: 2,088 Posts
KitMaker Network: 471 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 08:16 PM UTC

First I apoligise for butting in on your guys thread, Chas not sure if you have one in your area but Spotlight stores are great for chains, have a look in their craft section, going by memory they are usually with the jewellwery making bits and pieces. In terms of Online hobby stores the only overseas ones I use are Hobbyeasy and Luckymodel and have had no trouble in the 5 or so years since I started buying from them.
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 4,002 Posts
KitMaker Network: 648 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 02:31 AM UTC
Lucky model for me Chas.
As for scale chain, definitely try model railroad shops.
Looky see.
This was from DetailAssociates, a US company methinks.

Brad
Angelus
Visit this Community
Tasmania, Australia
Posted: Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 07:49 AM UTC
Its not quite clear from the photo but that looks suspiciously like twisted link chain. Dock chain isn't twisted link.
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 11:45 PM UTC
Just a further comment on the topic of online stores...

As I mentioned one has to do one's homework... I'm currently toying around with a few ideas for projects for next year, one of which may include a Pz III Ausf J Command Tank - today I came across one of the potential kits on HobbyEasy ( here), selling at about AU$85.30, yet I saw it in VHC today at lunchtime for less. For some reason I was convinced it was $65, but now I'm thinking $81 - but the point is, do you're homework, because you may just find it cheaper in your LHS
Angelus
Visit this Community
Tasmania, Australia
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2008 - 07:21 AM UTC
Some of that price difference, I would suspect, would be the current exchange rate on the AU$.
RedComet
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 127 Posts
KitMaker Network: 41 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 08:45 AM UTC
Everyone seems to mention HLJ but people forget about Hobbysearch :

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng

I have purchased on many occasions from this Japanese store and I must say that the service is great and even better is when you order a kit on a Friday afternoon and it turns up the following Wednesday! And that's with the default postage option too.

For cheap prices, try Luckmodel ( http://www.luckymodel.com ) who are based in Hong Kong. Their prices are unbelievable and postage is reasonable too.
airborne1
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 09:33 AM UTC

Its just a case of letting your fingers do the walkin ,just like the yellow pages. LOL

make maximum use of the currency converter "with freight"

Be patient for the model your after .
I've found at Hobby easy the new released kit that goes at $60-70 is on sale after a couple of weeks for like $35.00

Cheers
NebLWeffah
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 1,683 Posts
KitMaker Network: 284 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 10:37 AM UTC
I'm not Australian obviously, but I've used Lucky Model to Canada quite often and they're really good. Prompt responses to queries, willing to sort out exchanges and the like. As far as postage and shipping etc, they've got to be a good option for you 'mob down under' as well.

cheers from your friends in Canada

Bob
youngc
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 11:28 AM UTC
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Christmas is coming, it looks as if I'll have to shop around and do my research to get the best possible price.

Chas
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 11:16 PM UTC
Chas,

I think Artesano (?) or Billings Boats should do chains for their boats/ships. I saw some this weekend in a LHS (can't remember the exact make tho).

Rudi
youngc
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, November 09, 2008 - 01:14 AM UTC
I'll keep an eye for these Rudi, thanks.

Looking back through JBA's Galilee thread, pg. 2 near the bottom, I came across the product he used for chains. 'Tiger Models'. The chain looks great for what I need, it's cheap, and they do my homework for me.

By the way, I just bought three Osprey books from Amazon UK. They are being posted to my friend in the UK who is emigrating to Australia very shortly. Result: big saving on postage! Amazon UK is still usually very cheap regardless of postage costs.

Chas
 _GOTOTOP