_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: Kiwi Korner
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
HELP on scrim netting
kiwisoldier
Visit this Community
New Plymouth, New Zealand
entire network: 50 Posts
KitMaker Network: 29 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 27, 2008 - 11:55 AM UTC
Do any of the talented people in this great web site have any ideas on how to replicate scim netting that is used by the NZ ARMY armour.
I was going to use tissue and glue thread to it but that my take a loooooonnnnnnnnngggggggggg time so anything to cut time in the making of it would be very handy
nzgunnie
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
entire network: 371 Posts
KitMaker Network: 122 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 27, 2008 - 05:32 PM UTC
This isn't going to be nearly as helpful without the link (which I wish I could find) but somewhere on here (or possibly on another armour site - see I told you it wasn't that helpful!)...there is an article about making modern cam nets. Modern cam nets don't use scrim, they use precut plastic material attached to the netting. Light green / Dark green on one side and Browns on the other. It's quite distinctive as the material is cut into wavy strips, but not cut completely along each edge, it sort of alternates in half moon shaped cuts.

I think the technique I read about involved making a special cutting tool to simulate this, then cutting thin paper appropriately and then I think sticking the results to gauze.

I wish I could find the link, because it looked much better than the tissue paper/gauze method, which doesn't capture the modern machine cut look of the cam material. It was the first 1/35 netting that actaully looked like modern cam net.
thomokiwi
Visit this Community
Christchurch, New Zealand
entire network: 438 Posts
KitMaker Network: 52 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 27, 2008 - 09:07 PM UTC
Evening, Sorry I am not sure what form you are after. As in the above answer the LAV's etc usually wrap themselves in old cam nets. Scrim, hessein (spellings crap) or sacking material in large sheets was and sometimes still is used with the good old green,black and brown paint. The scrim is still used under cam nets to reduce shine. This I would attempt to recreat with thin sheets of putty, pressing gauze into it to get the pattern.
hope that is of some help.
D_J_W
Visit this Community
Hamilton, New Zealand
entire network: 436 Posts
KitMaker Network: 64 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 27, 2008 - 09:42 PM UTC
Hi Sean,

Cavalry to the rescue once again

If you are after Barracuda type netting then the article that Phil refers to is on the Plastic Warafre site.

For the older type netting with strips of hessian, then there is an article on Missing Link . Just a point to note, this type of netting stopped being used on AFVs in NZ after about 1977, we had a little accident

Or if you are after scrim, like these M577s

I would suggest some fine fabric, maybe an old (well worn) handkerchief or the like.

cheers
David
kiwisoldier
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 08:07 AM UTC
Thanks so far but it's the hessin type that is hanging on the sides as in the photos that David has posted . I will wait a bit longer for any other suggestions ,but while I'm waiting I will start with a peice of tissue and see what comes of it. By the way went to Supercheap looking for some stuff for my car and found a rather cheap alt to milly putty it goes by the name of Sepatone Blade putty I think ,Is a tube form premixed turbo bog and It has worked well dries quick and it's easy to sand costs around $12.
thomokiwi
Visit this Community
Christchurch, New Zealand
entire network: 438 Posts
KitMaker Network: 52 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 09:41 PM UTC
Like most thinks in the military, things go in circles, the old hessian strips proudly adorned my anti-armour rover from 1985 and it is still used in some cases. In the Infantry we tend to keep it away from exhaust pipes and things with flames.
kiwisoldier
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, February 12, 2012 - 05:26 PM UTC
A question for those in the know How were the cam. poles attached to the side of the vehicle ? As in the photo from David . Yes it is an old thread but have been busy with other projects.
D_J_W
Visit this Community
Hamilton, New Zealand
entire network: 436 Posts
KitMaker Network: 64 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 12, 2012 - 06:20 PM UTC
Hi Sean,

at the rear, a strapped to guard above the tail light and at the front a long strap from the tie down point at the rear of the engine deck (a . picture is worth a thousand words). The straps were 1.1/2-in wide and the yes the frot one was just hanging loose.

cheers
David
 _GOTOTOP