_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: The Springbok Club
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
SA figures
JRT1973
Visit this Community
Cape Province, South Africa
entire network: 6 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 27, 2008 - 01:49 AM UTC
Dear all,

I'm busy on both a Casspir and Ratel in 1/35 scale. To complete these models i'd like to add SA military figures, but after some internet browsing and asking around a bit, i haven't found any.

Does anyone know if there are? And if so, where? and which? and how can these be obtained?

Hope someone can help me out here.

Best regards,
John
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 27, 2008 - 09:28 AM UTC
It's pretty simple, mate, in short, there are currently no 1/35 scale SADF or SANDF figures on the market.

Rudi
JRT1973
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 27, 2008 - 08:38 PM UTC
Hi Rudi,

Thanks - not the answer i was hoping for, but what it is what i was expecting. Hmmm... think i'll have to get resort to my creativity.

John
thomokiwi
Visit this Community
Christchurch, New Zealand
entire network: 438 Posts
KitMaker Network: 52 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 27, 2008 - 09:10 PM UTC
Hi John

I am afraid I am of no help with figures however can I ask were you obtained your kits from or are they scratch built.
bwsmith
Visit this Community
entire network: 17 Posts
KitMaker Network: 12 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 27, 2008 - 11:33 PM UTC
You can use US soldiers from vietnam, just paint the uniforms the standard brown if its for a Border war scene
JRT1973
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 27, 2008 - 11:51 PM UTC
Hi Thomo,

They are resin kits, from a south african manufacturer: http://www.baxmod.co.za/

He has 1/72 and 1/35 kits of SA models, and they are good.

Best regards,
John
JRT1973
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 02:00 AM UTC
Actually a good idea Brandon, but would you know with which headgear? from what i've seen of border war photo's they were either without headgear or with hats.
trakk120
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
entire network: 194 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 12:45 AM UTC
Hi John

why don't you order replacement heads from the Hornet range. There are some sets that are wearing the "boonie" hat which with a little work can be made to look like the SANDF "floppy" hat. Hornet are available from Historex in the UK online.

Cheers

Arthur
Savage
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,405 Posts
KitMaker Network: 592 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 04:47 AM UTC
John it depends on what you are looking for. If you just want soldiers standing around then Vietnam area figures work. If you want figures in webbing then you will have to adapt them to the model of the Ratel or Caspir you are building.
Also Accurate Armour’s Falklands figures without kit are good for SADF troops with berets.

For SADF figures with Pattern 74 webbing and ‘staaldak’ these sets work almost from the box:

1. Academy’s Modern IDF Infantry, for earlier troops with the R1 you will need Italeri’s set (IIRC kit no. 422).
2. Dragon’s 1/35 kit # 3001 (Italeri #337) Israeli Paratroops is the best set out there for weapons, it has a good RPG 7, FN Mag and IMI Galils (Easily changed to R4).

For later figures with Pattern 83 or Bateleur Pattern 90 webbing you will need to adapt some figures as well as change the helmet to the US-Army PASGT helmet (Bush hat NOT worn with Pattern 83 etc.). Figures that are easier to mod are:

1. Dragon’s 1/35 kit # 3013 British Desert Rats.
2. Accurate Armour’s 1990s / ODS figures.
3. Czech Masters - CMKF35127 & CMKF35128 - British Modern Soldiers Part I & II.

For 32Bn troops get Dragon’s 1/35 Soviet Special Forces set (Italeri #336) plus some Bergen packs.

Hope this helps.
bwsmith
Visit this Community
entire network: 17 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 06:22 PM UTC
A lot of sets come with hats that look kind of like the bush hats used by the SADF, but otherwise you could just leave out any head gear which the guys in armour often did.
ROLANDQ
Visit this Community
entire network: 158 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 08:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

A lot of sets come with hats that look kind of like the bush hats used by the SADF, but otherwise you could just leave out any head gear which the guys in armour often did.

Sorry Boet gotta disagree regarding wearing headgear.

I was in 2SSB in 82/83 and you were in deep crap if had no headgear on and in uniform. Standard was Staaldak, webbing overall for basic training. Browns, beret for work ie. medics, radio etc.
Browns or overall depending on type of advanced training with bush hat. i.e. various weapon maintenance, driving, radio, political etc.
When outside always with "kopdeksel" on (No EXCUSES) inside or under roofing hat rolled and under Left epaulette.

The only time I remember not having some kind of headgear was in PT. Even on maneuvers, you always had some kind of headgear on or nearby, This included border duty.

Roland
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 08:31 PM UTC
Of course if Roland would roer sy lei gat and sculpt and produce some troeppies we wouldn't be having this conversion discussion
Savage
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2008 - 01:17 AM UTC
I believe Brandon is referring to the more relaxed discipline found on deployment (not in bases). This versus the steel discipline, Roland is referring to, found during training or in ‘state’ (paraat) side camps/bases.
Savage
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2008 - 01:27 AM UTC
To put it in perspective:
On manoeuvres, during training phase or even at Lohatla, you ventured nowhere without your ‘hoofdeksel’.
On deployment this relaxed slightly and you moved about your immediate area with or without your ‘cover’ on. Armour/Mech guys got a little more leeway after having had comms helmets on for more than a bit.
Citizen Force members got a lot more leeway. Etc.
Savage
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2008 - 01:31 AM UTC
Sorry, forgot to mention that it is probably a more difficult task to find / make comms helmets for the Har400 or Har500 systems, than to make or convert bush hats.

Ooops forgot to edit messages.
JRT1973
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, November 04, 2008 - 10:57 PM UTC
Hi Eric, Arthur, Brandon & rest - thanks! I'll make use of your suggestions. Seems it is possible to add SA figures after all, with some creativity of course

John
ROLANDQ
Visit this Community
entire network: 158 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 07:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Of course if Roland would roer sy lei gat and sculpt and produce some troeppies we wouldn't be having this conversion discussion

Working on it Boet!!

Got some 54mm ideas planned for late next year in resin. Working with the Castle museum okies on style and uniform (Jaco), and then have to figure costing. Main thing is to first finish work that I have been paid in advance for, and existing projects i.e. - Sci-fi Marine- I want that finished for Mid-December.

Patience guys Patience... it could be a while still

Roland
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 08:15 PM UTC
Not 54mm, boeta, we need 1/35 scale to accessorise Baxter's armour

What in 54mm tho? Pre-20th century? Could be a niche market, but I'm intrigued... maybe we need to put a petition/proposal together like Chas Young did for the PTO Diggers...
 _GOTOTOP