_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
advice needed....
Mar-74
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
entire network: 679 Posts
KitMaker Network: 166 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 26, 2003 - 06:55 AM UTC
Hi, couple of questions here....
im thinking of scratch building an armoured sled whats the best materials to use?
Also how do i work out the scale for 1:35? I have measurements which being from Russia I will assume are metric, but when i divide them by 35 and mark them out on paper it doesnt look right! Am i just being thick or are the measurements wrong?
#:-)
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 26, 2003 - 07:01 AM UTC
Martin no clue about your measurements but trying empirically to see if they're inches. Try to make the calculation based on inches and see if they look reasonable. For the materials to be used the easiest to work with, at least in my wiew, are plasticard, brass or copper foil then wood. It always depend on you and your confidence/skill with a particular material...
Ciao
BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,546 Posts
KitMaker Network: 494 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 26, 2003 - 07:13 AM UTC
I like plastic stock from Evergreen. They have card stock, strip stock, tubes, rods, textured stuff like clapboard and treadplate. I also have a healthy supply of wire in varying sizes. And I use lead foil from the dentists office. I can't rememebr who posted it but I tyhink it was Eagle or Roadkill but they had a modelling tool for the computer which worked out dimensions in diffferent scales. Do a search for modelling scale tool and you should find it.

Rob
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 8,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 963 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 26, 2003 - 07:31 AM UTC
:-) Martin,
You need to use the decimal scale equivalent. Divide the top number in the fraction by the bottom: 1/35= .0286 simply multiply the real measurements buy this number. If the drawings are of a different scale then work out that decimal equivalent (1/48= .0208) divide the drawing scale buy the model scale .0208/.0286= .7273 and then multiply each drawing measurement by this number :-)
Mal
Mar-74
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 26, 2003 - 07:44 AM UTC
I found the scale calculator for those that need or may need it heres the link
http://www.ipmsmk.org.uk/hintsandtips/scale_calculator.htm

i wasn't being thick, i get the same measurements as i worked out earlier so that can mean only one thing, back to the search for dimensions..
still interested to hear about the materials though, thanks for your help so far..
martin
ZoomieE7
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 145 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 26, 2003 - 07:57 AM UTC
Martin, Sorry. For 1/35 scale Just enlarge the drawings so that the "0-1m"scale at the bottom of the drawing is 1 meter in 1/35 scale, about 29mm actual size. I used bass plywood for my Aerosan (because the real thing was wood, and I'm a semi-masochist) with detail bits from plastic sheet, tubing rod, wire, and wire solder for the suspension springs. The engine was the roughest part, as each cylinder was built up of stacked plastic discs punched out one at a time from sheet plastic. Since I don't have a vacuform the engine crankcase, and fueltank/motor mount were carved from bass dowel and block, shaped, and sealed with CA. If I were to build it again, I'd go with plastic sheet. If you have any problems with the drawings, lmk, and I'll size them for 1/35 and re-send 'em. Rob
Mar-74
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 26, 2003 - 09:38 AM UTC
Thanks for the tips Rob,
ive managed to find a few varient plans also. it seems that i worked the scale out correctly. Just didn't look right, but ive found more photos which i can put in relation toa figure, the heads on the photos are just about over the top of the sled and with thescale ive created from your plan and others this seems to match with a spare figure i have, so it looks like everything is going to plan. Should take me quite a while but i'll keep you posted,
regards, martin
 _GOTOTOP